JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I Blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larrikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I Blue
    Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 12:46am
Hi, I have downloaded a version of "Am I Blue" from Pandora.

It was listed as being by Ella Fitzgerald, but is clearly not Ella.

Good version nevertheless and it has a great sax intro?
Scott Hamilton??

2 questions. Anyone familiar with such a recording?, if so who is the vocalist, and who is on sax?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 2:41am
I'd be happy to help you with this, but you need to supply the song or some sample of it so we can tell which version of Am I Blue you're talking about, I would imagine its been recorded more than once. 

Edited by js - 13 Jan 2014 at 2:41am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 2:45am
A quick check on youtube turned up versions by Ethel Waters and Bessie Smith, as well as versions by  several lesser known singers.
Last FM has Dinah Washington as well as others.
A google search of pandora puts a Billie Holiday version at the top.

Edited by js - 13 Jan 2014 at 2:58am
Larrikin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larrikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:27am
Thanks guys. You are correct, everyone and their dog has recorded it.

On second thoughts the sax could be Lester Peterson.

I t sounds a bit like Billie H.

I am new to this, how do I post a bit of the song?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:51am
^ Do you mean Lester Young?

If you have never used youtube, here is a link.

A lot of people who provide samples of songs on this site will record their sample on to youtube, and then supply a link on this site that we can click on.

Also, you may try searching for your song on youtube and finding it that way. Just go on the search bar and put something like "am i blue female vocals" or just try out different singers, I'm thinking it may be Holiday.
Larrikin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larrikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 2:55am
yes I did mean Lester Young

Your suggestions helped. I went to You Tube and played through the featured artists, and found the recording. Vocalist:- Lillian Bouttee'.

Any suggestions as to the sax player?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:00am
Here is an example of someone on the site using youtube to post a sample.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Larrikin Larrikin wrote:

yes I did mean Lester Young

Your suggestions helped. I went to You Tube and played through the featured artists, and found the recording. Vocalist:- Lillian Bouttee'.

Any suggestions as to the sax player?

It might be Joe Marsala, I'm still looking into it. Apparently this recording is often mistakanely attributed to Fitzgerald.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:14am
Just noticed that Boutte is missing from the site, her addition may come with the personel listed on her albums, which could answer your question. She should be added soon.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:31am
Found someone on the internet who says that it is Sammy Rimington on sax. Later versions will probably feature her husband, Thomas L'Etiene, on sax.

Edited by js - 14 Jan 2014 at 3:32am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:05am
The version of "Am I Blue" you usually hear by her has her husband, Thomas L'Eieme, on sax, but it seems there may be an earlier version too, I'm not sure.
Larrikin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larrikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 10:11pm
Thanks to all responders.

I have that sorted. I must say I was overwhelmed by the depth of knowledge displayed! By the way, My Lester "Peterson" arose from listening to a recording featuring "Pres" and Oscar Peterson as I was typing the post. (Old age is a trying thing!!)

For future reference, is this the correct location on the site to post such questions?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 10:27pm
Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy this sort of thing because I learned a lot too. We have Boutte up on the site now and "Am I Blue" is a featured video on our front page for the time being.  Wink 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic