JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dexter Gordon and other Bebop Sax Greats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dexter Gordon and other Bebop Sax Greats
    Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 7:58am
Just a thread in appreciation of some of my favourite musicians in jazz history. I've been binging a fair bit on guys like Dexter Gordon, Sonny Stitt and Coleman Hawkins, and I just thought I'd return to this site with a page for sharing this great music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkD15hosSh0

I've had to hyperlink the video due to my PC not playing cricket with the embedding function...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 8:23am
Thanks for that, Coleman Hawkins and Charlie Parker fan myself.
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 7:54am
You can't go wrong with any of those guys!

Dex was always good, and my favorites are his Blue Note albums from the early 60s.

Here are two lesser-known performances by Bean that you might check out: "Tres Palabras" from Kenny Burrell's Prestige album, "Bluesy Burrell", and Bean's own Impulse album, "Wrapped Tight", which was just about his last album.

Sonny Stitt was particularly good on a Verve album with Gene Ammons called "Boss Tenors" - Sonny plays alto on one track. His "Stitt Plays Bird" album (Atlantic) is excellent. He only plays alto on that, not surprisingly, and the album has extra authenticity because John Lewis, who recorded with Bird, is on piano.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic