JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 - John Coltrane (Atlantic Records)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which album do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [40.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960 - John Coltrane (Atlantic Records)
    Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:40pm
These three albums were recorded the same year, although released differently. 

The three of them show John's compostional evolution, as well as the incorporation of the soprano. Also, the classic line-up with Tyner and Jones surges.

I consider these 3, alongside Giant Steps, classic Trane.

What's your favourite?

Here are some samples:

Edited by Abraxas - 18 Apr 2011 at 9:50pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:59pm

After the band of Miles Davis had seceded, Coltrane kept announcing a really good album. It will : later about "Someday My Prince Will Come".

I wanted to go to "My Favorite Things" if original. Because it was of course different the time of the recording and the announcement.

An album favorite of me is Blues album. Very graceful album.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

After the band of Miles Davis had seceded, Coltrane kept announcing a really good album. It will : later about "Someday My Prince Will Come".

I wanted to go to "My Favorite Things" if original. Because it was of course different the time of the recording and the announcement.

An album favorite of me is Blues album. Very graceful album.

Yeah, I didn't add My Favorite Things because a) not really sure if it's from '60 or '61, and b) it would have won the poll easily, and it's pretty different like you said. I love it.

In the case of this poll, I'll go for Coltrane's Sound, overlooked gem with fantastic compositions.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:43pm
Yes. Coltrane 's Sound is a wonderful certainly album. I am enjoying often listening to cover tune by other musicians and comparing good parts of the album.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:08am
No Clotrane Olé??? Confused
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:37am
If the vote concerning Ole Coltrane comes, I welcome it. As for me, the preparation for voting on "Aisha" is made. Big smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

No Clotrane Olé??? Confused

It was released and recorded in 1961, if I'm not mistaken.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:02pm
Coltrane Jazz !! not only favorite  from those 3 it is also my all time favorite Jazz album (along with Journey to love Stanley Clarke)  
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:42pm
I only have "plays the blues".......I am searching for the other two. So until then I cannot vote Cry...
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic