JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Consensus Top Jazz Song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consensus Top Jazz Song?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:55pm
While recently listening to a classic rock radio station I pondered...

They were promoting a fan vote for the top 500 songs in the history of the genre. They do this every year around this time, as they do the countdown for the 4th of july weekend. It's a bit of a pointless exercise, as the top 10+ songs are always the same (maybe a different order) with Led Zepplin's Stairway To Heaven being the top song, always. This got me thinking......if a jazz radio station were to do something similar and have listeners vote for the top 500 songs in jazz history, would the results be as predictable? Is there a consensus among jazz connoisseurs as to what the 'best' jazz song of all time is? (Or even a top 10?)

From my fairly outsiders perspective my guess would be no, as it seems artists (and perhaps albums) are the bigger deal in jazz than individual songs (even standards), but perhaps I'm just too outside. 
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:07pm
The so-called 'standards' are the favorite songs of the jazz genre, and occasionally something new will be invited into that elite set to join all the long lasting time tested ones.

Which one is the favorite can be determined by which one gets recorded the most and played the most, and for my money I would say Monk's "Round Midnight' is probably the most popular song in jazz. Other top contenders would include "All the Things You Are" and "My Funny Valentine".
Of the more modern set, Ornette's "Lonely Woman" does pretty well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic