JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making sense of melodic minor to write melody

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4thGenTrombone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making sense of melodic minor to write melody
    Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:40am

There are no doubt quite a few jazz standards that largely use the melodic minor scale or the bebop deviation, 

and I'm looking for inspiration. To be fair, I can only think of two - Nature Boy, and in a broader context, Yesterday. 

Typical melodic minor is a bit of a musical blind spot for me because of how close to major it is, despite that all 

important flat 3rd. The typical bleakness of a minor tonality doesn't seem to come across to me when I play the 

scale. What melodic motions, outside arpeggios based on the crucial chords, and drifting back to the minor 3rd, 

might help in writing gloomy noir-like melodies?

Edited by 4thGenTrombone - 03 Jun 2021 at 4:54am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 5:06am
If you are looking for melodic minor melodies, you will find way more in the world of classical music, particularly Russian music in the late 19th century, or the music of Chopin. Also JS Bach, for instance the "Bouree" melody that was adopted by Ian Anderson
As for jazz, "My Funny Valentine" is in melodic minor for some bars. As for the scale's difference from the major scale you mentioned, it has a minor 6th and minor 7th in its descending form.

Edited by js - 03 Jun 2021 at 7:46am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 5:08am
I moved this to The Musicians Exchange.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:42am
"Solar" is sort of in a melodic minor scale, but not entirely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic