JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help on B section of My Latin Brother

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on B section of My Latin Brother
    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:15pm
Could anyone help me with some ideas on how to approach improvising on the B section (below) to George Benson's "My Latin Brother"? Right now, all I can come up with is treating each of the first 7 measures as a ii V of a new tonal center. Is there a broader concept that can be used that wouldn't chop up the tonality as much? Thanks for any ideas.

Ab-9 Db13/G-11 C7b13/Bb-11 Eb7/Ab-9 Db13
E-7 A7     /Db-9 Gb13  /F-7 Bb7    /F-7 Bb7 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:59pm
In the first bar, substitute the Db13 with a G13 (tritone substitution) and you might see some more interesting melodic ideas develop as you move from G dom melody to the G minor in the second bar.
I'll try to get some more later, I just got off work.

I moved this to the musicians exchange.

Edited by js - 11 Oct 2019 at 7:26pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:55pm
Substitute the Db13 in bar 4 with a G13, when you go to the next bar, a Em7 is more or less the same as a G6, so when you now go from the G13 to the G6 you are going from a very similar G dom harmony to G major.
tgb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:43pm
Thanks! Interesting ideas and will play with them.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:51pm
You can link the Gb13 in bar 6 to the following measure by making the Gb13 a C13. The C13 becomes the V7 of the following Fm7.
There are some more possibilities here, I'll be back tomorrow.

Edited by js - 11 Oct 2019 at 9:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic