JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medeski Martin & Wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medeski Martin & Wood
    Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:27pm
The ELP of jazz.

No, not really. I've been really diggin' them lately, and I realized there was no thread for them here. So how does everyone feel about them? I think they're awesome, but for me, took some time to really get acquainted with a lot of their music. I think my first exposure to them was through John Scofield's "A Go-Go" album when I got the album in 2005. I've since then heard some of their albums, but was never really into it enough to go back often.

When the Radiolarians albums came out, I got the first one and the third one when they came out, as I heard the tours from before the albums were recorded, and I was intrigued. I liked the albums, but I never explored their discography further.

I recently bought 3 MMW albums at my local shop, used in perfect condition, and cheap, "Shack-Man", "Tonic", and "Friday Afternoon in the Universe", and now I can't stop listening to them.

I'm thinking of picking up Out Louder next, as that's the Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood lineup. I also heard the live album that came out last year with MSMW is even better. I also know "Uninvisible" is a good one so I'll also probably get that one next. Anyone know other good ones to check out?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:39pm
I've never heard anything particularly bad by them, the new one is good, they keep getting stronger and more confident. 
I've always liked their funky cuts, they can get seriously funky when they want to.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:03pm
I like The Stone Issue Four and Free Magic
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:16pm
The Stone Issue is probably the best one from them I ever heard - but it's a bit different from their usual sound

Edited by snobb - 08 Mar 2013 at 1:20pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I've never heard anything particularly bad by them, the new one is good, they keep getting stronger and more confident. 
I've always liked their funky cuts, they can get seriously funky when they want to.

Are you referring to Free Magic? Yea, they get real funky on Shack Man.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
I'm not sure on some of the titles, but I do recall that their new live album with Schoefield was better than their previous work with him. They sound more like a team now.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 2:07pm
^ I heard that one was hot fire, and yea, better than the studio album from 2006, which was good too, though I prefer Scofeld's "A Go-Go". Will have to check out the live album, I love Scofield.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 2:35am
I quite like them. Wonderful modern jazz. I'll admit,  Out There kinda falls flat for me (probably my least favorite of the ones I know) which is weird, as I like guitars in my jazz.

Uninvisible is probably my favorite. Friday Afternoon In The Universe is also great. I also highly enjoy Notes From The Underground, Combustication, and the Radiolarians' series.

Farmer's Reserve is also great, but much more experiemental and less overtly jazzy.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 9:27am
I gave Friday Afternoon In The Universe a first listen yesterday, nice and funky. Definitely got to return to that one. I don't think I've heard a MMW album I didn't like (so far).
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

I quite like them. Wonderful modern jazz. I'll admit,  Out There kinda falls flat for me (probably my least favorite of the ones I know) which is weird, as I like guitars in my jazz.

Uninvisible is probably my favorite. Friday Afternoon In The Universe is also great. I also highly enjoy Notes From The Underground, Combustication, and the Radiolarians' series.

Farmer's Reserve is also great, but much more experiemental and less overtly jazzy.

How do you feel about Shack-Man? I've always been aware of it, having listened to it here and there over the years, but lately I've been really diggin' it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 5:31pm
The ELP of jazz, I like that. Big smile  Oddly enough I've been cycling back in time for my collection and I just drew Uninvisible.  Cool album that has a cameo by Atlanta area mad man, Bruce Hampton.  I've only got a couple of titles, that one and End Of The World Party.  With these guys the word groovy comes to mind.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 29 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

How do you feel about Shack-Man? I've always been aware of it, having listened to it here and there over the years, but lately I've been really diggin' it.

I'll admit that Shack Man was one of the last ones I got, and thus, less time that I've been exposed to it. Having said that, it's pretty good, but I wouldn't put it in the great category. I prefer the weirder recordings overall and this sits on the safer side overall to my ears.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:25pm

I'll admit that Shack Man was one of the last ones I got, and thus, less time that I've been exposed to it. Having said that, it's pretty good, but I wouldn't put it in the great category. I prefer the weirder recordings overall and this sits on the safer side overall to my ears.

What would you recommend for me to get next?

Here's the albums I have:

Friday Afternoon In The Universe
Shack-Man
Tonic
Radiolarians I
Radiolarians III

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:55am

What would you recommend for me to get next?Here's the albums I have:Friday Afternoon In The UniverseShack-ManTonicRadiolarians IRadiolarians III

Didn't see this til now...sorry.

Might as get Radiolarians II to complete the trio.

Notes From The Underground is very good, but more jazz (not funk) and I believe it's all (or mostly) acoustic.

Combustication and The Dropper somewhat fit together with Shack-Man.

And my favorite is Uninvisible, so I can't not recommend that.

So quick list:

The Dropper
Uniinvisible
Combustication
Notes From The Underground
Radiolarians II
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 8:44pm

What would you recommend for me to get next?Here's the albums I have:Friday Afternoon In The UniverseShack-ManTonicRadiolarians IRadiolarians III

Didn't see this til now...sorry.

Might as get Radiolarians II to complete the trio.

Notes From The Underground is very good, but more jazz (not funk) and I believe it's all (or mostly) acoustic.

Combustication and The Dropper somewhat fit together with Shack-Man.

And my favorite is Uninvisible, so I can't not recommend that.

So quick list:

The Dropper
Uniinvisible
Combustication
Notes From The Underground
Radiolarians II

Since my last post in this thread, I did wind up getting Uninvisible, and it may also be my favorite of theirs so far. I love the hip-hop influence in their beats, and the late-night vibe to the whole thing. I also got the MSM&W live album that came out last year, that's a really good album. Still need the studio counterpart. Radiolarians II will probably be next on the list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 2:19am
I've had that live album for over a year and have still yet to listen to it. Embarrassed
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 10:53am
DO IT
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 10:32pm
I will. I will.

After a majority of my newest Christmas haul. Tongue
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic