JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from Romania

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from Romania
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 2:08pm
...and I already seen that I am not the only Romanian around here...
Hi, I am Florian and I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to jazz.

Several years ago (quite many by now), I had discovered an excellent jazz selection programme on Mezzo TV and kept watching it until it was replaced by full concerts (instead of a variety of different songs and artists) and, eventually, moved entirely to midnight, when I cannot watch... In spite of not having almost any technical notion of jazz at the time, I liked watching a lot, especially as seeing the motion of the players actually benefits for me... Being young, of course I also watched MTV and such... as for jazz, the textbook I learned in school only had a few pages and included... "Summertime" and "When The Saints Go Marching In"... Was not even aware of Miles and Coltrane until Mezzo TV and my first searches on the Internet, as most of the population (including me at the time) only heard of Armstrong...

For many years, my attention was drawn to other kinds of music (especially within electronic music), and with the exception of some acid jazz and nu-jazz (which, in many cases, seem so simple to me!), I only listened some Miles Davis once in a blue moon and that's about it. Only with the audio, without seeing players, I could hardly grab the sense of the music. But at a certain point I discovered Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" and it clicked with me good enough to stimulate me to "knock out" more albums. And so my interest has ignited again, more than ever... except that I am still limited to the expressive side of things rather than the technical one...

I have still to explore a lot, but currently there are a few albums that I can definitely call my favorites:
Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, On the Corner
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Sextant
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Don Cherry - mu
The Necks - Hanging Gardens, Aether, Aquatic
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller
and some other stuff that is close on my radar (Sun Ra, Roland Kirk, Hank Mobley, Jaki Byard, Mingus, Rollins...)

Sorry for the long introduction. Smile

Edited by pinknote - 03 Feb 2013 at 2:12pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 2:45pm
Welcome to the site Florian!  Sax man

Nice favorites there, lots of variety. Hope you enjoy the site, we have lots of music for you to check out and we're trying to get more mp3s and videos up every day.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:42pm
Welcome to the site! Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic