JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jojo Mayer and Nerve (DJ / DnB jazz)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jojo Mayer and Nerve (DJ / DnB jazz)
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:50pm
Jojo Mayer, one of the world's top current drummers, is part of an experimental electronic / Dnb trio known as Nerve. 

(ahem)  "Jojo Mayer's NERVE is a live electronic act from NYC that creates a new hybrid in contemporary music by cross pollinating intelligent DJ Culture (broken beats/d'n'b/nujazz, IDM etc.) with improvisational concepts of jazz.
NERVE performes "reverse engineered electronic music" in REALTIME! (no DJ's, drumloops or sequenced beats. everything is performed LIVE by drums, bass and keyboards)."

They released a full-length album in 2007, Prohibited Beats (samples below), and since then have put out three EPs that can be streamed in full (or bought) on their Bandcamp page.  Personally, EP 2 is my favourite.

From Prohibited Beats:

Be sure to listen to the EPs too, they have a pretty different sound from this album.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:48pm
I really like DnB jazz a lot and I was excited when I saw this posted. The drummer is great and he has the jazz influences you would expect from a DnB drummist, but other than that,  the music on the first two cuts wasn't jazz at all. The third cut had some jazz/RnB riffs, but the feel of the music was still heavy on the downbeat like rock or industrial. 

No admission for them so far, but if they come out with some new music that is jazzier, we should give them another listen.

I think Jojo Mayer is already on here through some other projects or bands.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:20am
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

and since then have put out three EPs that can be streamed in full (or bought) on their Bandcamp page.

Be sure to listen to the EPs too, they have a pretty different sound from this album.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:28am

and since then have put out three EPs that can be streamed in full (or bought) on their Bandcamp page.

True that, EP 2 is much jazzier than the YouTube samples. I don't even know why you've posted those.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:36am
^ because I just copy-pasted my suggestion thread from PA LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:37am
I suspected that. Myself I replied the same thing as there, too LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 1:47pm
I checked the band camp songs and I still don't hear any jazz. Lets say for now that this band has been rejected.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic