JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old jazz lover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old jazz lover
    Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 6:40pm
UnhappyI moved to Sugar Hill NY in 1940 to live with my brother who was an arranger amd jazz piano composer of some note.This was when I discovered jazz,what a tremendous time!After a stint in the Navy I returned to Harlem about 1948 to play my trumpet with the local dance bands.We played at The Savooy Ballroom,The Audubon Ballroom,many parties ans some summer retreats up in White Lake NY.My daughter has recently hooked me up with a Facebook page and some e-mail.Allthough advanced in years I  am still very active,practice my trumpet and would love to hear from fellow jazz lovers.It would also be great to be introduced to this "new" world of jazz.What is really popular now?I am near Philadelphia and would definitely go check out a jazz club if I knew what to look for.Ok so hopefully someone will answer my post.Thank You
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 7:03pm
Hey Artie! Welcome to the site, it'll be great to have more musicians on the site! (I'm not one of em but)

By modern, do you mean inthe last few years? I recommend 'Way Out West' and Australian nu-jazz/world fusion group.

Hopefully someone from the States can help you with a recommendation for live jazz near Philadelphia!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 7:34pm
Hi, welcome. Always great to have new members.

I live in New Jersey, but it's hard to find a place to find live jazz. I mean there's NYC of course, and Red Bank, NJ has stuff all the time. Near Philly? I'm not sure.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:05pm
Hey Artie, you have a great jazz scene there in Philly, we're adding Philly artists to the site all the time. Right off the top of my head I'm thinking of two great B3 players, Joey DeFrancesco and his dad Papa John. I'm pretty sure Papa John DeFrancesco plays fairly often around there, but I may be wrong.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:09pm
They're more funky soul-jazz but I saw Soulive, along with jazz-funk band Lettuce (both led by guitarist Eric Krasno) in Philly last November. I don't recall the name of the venue right now.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:16pm
The Delfonics is favorite one of me.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:24pm
^ I don't think they are gigging anymore. Wink   ...but you never know.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:30pm
Yes. I knew only the music, but did not know all trendsLOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic