JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monster 70's drummers...

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one of these three is your fave?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [61.54%]
3 [23.08%]
2 [15.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monster 70's drummers...
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:52am
Three awesome drumming dudes that helped shape and raise  JR/F to its firmament...

Edited by js - 13 Jun 2012 at 9:05am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:49pm
The Cobster has made the biggest impression on me.  If you say name a '70's JR/F drummer and his name comes to mind first.  Love the Phonse's work with Coryell.  I ordered what I thought was a Coryell album with him on it by what the listing said, but it turned out to be a Larryless disco album.  And of course White is Yes's best drummer. Tongue
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:00pm
Billy for me, monstrous indeed - I do like White over Alph (just) but Billy has more punch, and more of a 'big sound'
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:43pm
Probably the people might feel MO and WR and RTF by this list. And I think that Billy Cobham affected it with very big contribution including a solo album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 1:47am
Billy Cobham is the best of the bunch here. Probably one of the best drummers to exist; of any genre. Lenny White ain't no slouch, and his work in Return to Forever is fantastic, his solo albums from the 70s are excellent jazz-rock/fusion. In post-bop type jazz, he's also great. The Stanley Clarke Trio with Hiromi and Lenny White "Jazz In The Garden" is a great example. Alphonse Mouzon is my least favorite here, but he's great too.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The Cobster has made the biggest impression on me.  If you say name a '70's JR/F drummer and his name comes to mind first.  Love the Phonse's work with Coryell.  I ordered what I thought was a Coryell album with him on it by what the listing said, but it turned out to be a Larryless disco album.  And of course White is Yes's best drummer. Tongue

Mouzon's pre=solo album is the most impressive of the three, though

After leaving Weather report (stayed a bit less than a year), he went to Tyner's band and made it in a powerhouse.... McCoy's best albums date from that era: Sahare, Song For My Lady, Song Of The New World and the excellent live at Montreux

Then he created with Corryell the Eleventh House, which wouldn't have been the same without him

Now I agrere that in terms of solo albums, Mouzon's first two are not fantastic (euphemism), but Mind Transplant is absolutely awesome, almost as good as Cob's Spectrum.... Mouzon stole Tommy Bolin for that  too.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:13pm
Alphonse Mouzon for me.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 9:04pm
Billy Cobham get my vote.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneyesontle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 9:41am
Billy Cobham is AMAZING !!!
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 10:54am
I'll give it to Mouzon for his awesome live performance with Weather Report.

Lenny White never convinced me, maybe it's the drums he uses, the sound, never was fond of it.

Anyhow, if it were for solo careers, Cobham wins easily, most of his 70s albums are great and different, with varying stellar line-ups.

Edited by Abraxas - 22 Dec 2012 at 10:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic