JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Holland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Holland
    Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:44am
Great bassist. Has a lot of great albums.

I only have 3 so far, Prime Directive, Not For Nothin', and Extended Play: Live At Birdland. I consider these to be near perfect albums. For a long time I have been meaning to check out Conference of the Birds, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I also want to get another of his 2000s albums like Critical Mass or Pathways.

Of course, this is Dave Holland we're talking about, and he's on some seminal Miles Davis albums like In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

Like Ron Carter, Holland is featured as bassist on many other albums, some of which I have such as "Like Minds" with Chick Corea, Roy Haynes, Gary Burton, and Pat Metheny. Speaking of Metheny, he and Dave have been on at least a couple of trio albums, one of which I have, and the two of them are on probably my favorite album with Dave Holland on it.... "Parallel Realities Live" with Dave Holland, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, and Jack DeJohnette. Great album, I recommend it if you haven't heard it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:53am
I like his playing on Miles' "Live at the Fillmore" and also his avant-garde work with Chick Corea and Anthony Braxton. I think I may own "Conference of the Birds" its just a matter of finding it.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:14am
I especially like Holland's early  works - from solo debut to A.R.C. and Circle with Corea. Saw him playing live in 2008 (

Dave Holland Quintet with  Robin Eubanks, Chris Potter, Steve Nelson & Nate Smith), extremely professional and sofisticated, probably a bit too "chamber" for my taste.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:15am
If it is his leader album, I recommend Triplicate and Dream of the Elders. Arrangement and the balance of the music are good.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:05pm
Ive heard good things about Dream of the Elders.

How are his most recent, 2000s, albums?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:52pm
The album of recent Dave Holland thinks that musicality is unified basically. He always keeps good standards as quintet, but I feel it when a performance of quintet is almost gathered by "Not for Nothin'".
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

The album of recent Dave Holland thinks that musicality is unified basically. He always keeps good standards as quintet, but I feel it when a performance of quintet is almost gathered by "Not for Nothin'".

So you're saying Not For Nothin' is the best one of the recent albums?

I have that one, and Prime Directive and Extended Play: Live at Birdland, which may be the best ones of his out of the other late 90s/ 2000s albums. Critical Mass looked interesting when it came out, but I never bought it. And the other one I mentioned in the OP seems to have good ratings here (of course, it's probably only 2 ratings Wink ).
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:16pm
Preference and the opinion will vary. However, I recommend "Not for Nothin'" personally. Probably I think the form of recent quintet to be able to get an atmosphere with the album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:17pm
I listened to Not For Nothin' last night. I love it, but I think Prime Directive is a little better.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:33pm
Well, as it turns out I do have "Conference of the Birds", I'll have to get a review up soon, suppose I should listen to it first though.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:37pm
I need to get some early Dave Holland works. The only things I have from the 60s and 70s is anything he did with Miles Davis. I don't think I have anything with him on it from the 80s either.

Besides his own albums, most of the stuff I have by him is with other artists, "Like Minds" for example, from 1995, is a Gary Burton-led album, also featuring Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, and Roy Haynes. Or a couple of Pat Metheny Trio albums I have with Dave as bassist.

Edited by darkshade - 12 Jun 2012 at 9:38pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:51pm
Other than a leader album. Nefertiti collected in the Paris concert of Circle is overwhelming. Or "Think Before You Think" of Bill Stewart is good post bop.
Dr Clovenhoof View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:52am
Critical Mass is really good album from the noughties, particularly the track 'Secret Garden', which has a kind of smokey Eastern sound. I also like Steve Nelson's Marimba and Vibraphone playing throughout. I do recomend going back to his early classic 'Conference of the Birds' though.
Existence is no advantage!
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:37pm
I may have to check out Critical Mass, after I get Conference of the Birds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic