Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [83.33%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Maiden Voyages
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:17am
All are of course, most wonderful - and the original is superb and well, the original, but I love the Bobby version and Grant's soloing is cool in his - so what do you think?

HH

BH

GG

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:34am
They are all nice, but I'll go with the original. I was trying to think of others who have covered this song, right now I can only remember Brian Auger, but I know there are others.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:43am
Excellent, John - if you can think of others that'd be great. I'm gonna go and check out Brian's if I can find it
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:46am
Found a live one too actually, but here's one of em, pretty cool, like the guitar

Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
I went for Hancock's version, but Hutcherson's is good too...
Green's version is a little soporific, IMHO, but Auger's version is mega enthralling.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:18pm
After all I think on the basis of an original about this music. Of course I think that the forum member knows various versions. And I think that this music wants after all an atmosphere and a melody to reappear faithfully.

I thought that some versions of Karin Krog were interesting. Some versions of Mark Murphy had the impression that an atmosphere was spoiled. Versions of GRP All Stars will be played well while being Big Band.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I went for Hancock's version, but Hutcherson's is good too... Green's version is a little soporific, IMHO, but Auger's version is mega enthralling.

Yeah, that Auger one is great stuff, I should probably pick up that Trinity albbum one day

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

After all I think on the basis of an original about this music. Of course I think that the forum member knows various versions. And I think that this music wants after all an atmosphere and a melody to reappear faithfully.

I thought that some versions of Karin Krog were interesting. Some versions of Mark Murphy had the impression that an atmosphere was spoiled. Versions of GRP All Stars will be played well while being Big Band.

Yes, the melody for me usually should reappear in an form that's at least recognisable, absolutely. I'll have a look at Karin Krog & the GRP All Stars, thanks Kazu

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:30pm
Ah, with wordless vocals

Works great as a big band piece too, I like hearing the clarinet in the mix

Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:50pm
One of the Hancock VSOP albums has a very energetic semi-free version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic