JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Sinatra vinyls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Sinatra vinyls?
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:21am
Hey there,
I'm getting started collecting Frank Sinatra records, but I have a question on which pressings/lables are recommended. I was brought to my attention that the some of capitol reprints have an odd 'stereo mix'; with low and low-mid on the left channel and high-mid and high on the right channel. I'm wondering if there are better mono pressings or reprints/boxes etcetera. Furthermore, I think the Reprise records sound fine, but if some-one has advise for records of this period I'm interested!

As a last question; Which albums of Sinatra are concept albums? I'm very fond of Watertown. 

Fiso
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:56am
Send a PM to Matt to check this thread, he is our resident expert on 'old blue eyes'.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 1:44pm
I have his complete Capitol Box Set on Capital (UK) release and it is great. As for sound problems there are not any that I can spot. I also have his complete studio Reprise catalogue in individual albums as well as his Live stuff. I only have two records of his and one is "September of my Years" which is a ballad album on Reprise and actually my favourite of his ballad ones (Reprise). I am not mad on his ballad albums and much prefer the Swing and his later Reprise Pop/Country Efforts. I saw your review on Watertown and I gave it 5 stars as well. Beautiful later album. One of my faves as well. I love the two Basie albums. "Softly While I Leave You" is another concept. "I Remember Tommy" from his days with Dorsey. There is also the Rod McKuen album "A Man Alone' which had the single "Love's Been Good To Me" which is the best thing off the album for me (Actually still have mum's single) somewhere.  There was the double set "A Man and His Music" but Frank just introduces his songs from his back catalogue. "In The Wee Small Hours" is another great beautiful ballad album on Capitol. One of his most famous efforts. Don't forget there is also the album with Duke Ellington, "FrancisA & Edward K as well as the Jobim one being another concept album.

I am quite happy with the cds and have no desire to get them on record. They sound fine.
Matt
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:07pm
There is a Capitol 70 greatest hits, 6 vintage LP's that I think sound spectacular, you can find it for less than 30 dollars on eBay, I got mine for 15 dollars, any of the Vintage LP's Capitol or Reprise, all sound great, The Columbia 6eye label The Voice is a nice record. The Count Basie Sinatra Albums are good too, with Great sounding Brass.
friso View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the comments!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic