JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz & Clarinet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz & Clarinet
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:54pm
Hey everyone, looking for thoughts on some interesting Jazz clarinet players/leaders.

I know Dolphy and Lester Young among others played a bit, but I'm unfamiliar with any players who devoted a lot of time to it, or used it as a lead voice consistently. Interested if anyone knows of anything out there in the way or artists/albums?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:08pm
We slightly had the topic of the clarinet before in this thread. I recommended Buddy DeFranco, but I may say the same opinion more here.

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:12pm
^ Thanks, Kazu - I should have checked! Will look in to Buddy now
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:03pm
For modern clarinet you have:
David Murray
Don Byron
John Carter

Bop:
Buddy DeFranco

Cool:
Jimmy Giuffre

Fusion:
Bennie Maupin (bass clarinet)

Swing:
Benny Goodman
Artie Shaw 
Woody Herman

Classic Jazz;
Sidney Bechet
Jimmy Noone

I thought Paul Gonsalves played clarinet too, maybe I'm wrong, anyway, this is a very incomplete list.

Edited by js - 23 Jan 2012 at 9:05pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:22pm
Oh. I remembered Sidney Bechet to see the list which John submitted. "Egyptian Fantasy" was my favorite music.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:20am
check Anat Cohen's albums, she was voted clarinetist of the year in 2008, 2009, 2010 ny JJA
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Fusion:
Bennie Maupin (bass clarinet)

Yeah, I must say I much prefer the bass clarinet than the normal one... It seems to add so much depth to the sound

When Eric Dolphy plays it, it strikes as hard as Maupin.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:11pm
Barney Bigard........... Creole, New Orleans, played in The Louis Armstrong All Stars, King Oliver  as well as with Duke Ellington.( He played on the first version of "Caravan" Big smile A real pioneer and my fave. I know what you you all think, just because he plays with Louis  Tongue

Pee Wee Russell..........Often stated as just a trad player but Pee Wee mixed it up. Another pioneer. On The Art Kane Jazz Portrait Cool

Sidney Bechet is up there  with Louis and Jelly Roll Morton at the dawn of recorded Jazz.. As well as one of the first to record at Blue Note, very early days.

They all  played sax as well.
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:24pm
Ace! Thank you all, I'm going to side step the swing era for a bit - and see how I go with some of the more modern players first. Excellent, thanks again!
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic