Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Michael Garrick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Michael Garrick
    Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:36am
Michael Garrick, pianist, composer, arranger and music educator died in hospital on 11 November aged 78 after suffering from heart problems for some years.

Michael was one the UK's best known and loved musicians whose first recordings were made back in 1958. He will be remembered particularly for his work with Joe Harriott and Shake Keane in the 1960s which produced such albums as 'Black Marigolds', 'October Woman' and 'Promises' all of which are still available and then later with Ian Carr and Don Rendell.

The association with Rendell/Carr was particularly fruitful and produced the classic albums 'Dusk Fire', 'Phase 3' and 'Live'. He was an early supporter of poetry with jazz and again several recordings exist.

A 1972 trio album, 'Cold Mountain', shows off Michael's piano work to great effect and this will remain as a lasting tribute to him. Later works were for the New Jazz Orchestra and other big bands.

Michael continued working in a variety of settings right up to his death and he became a respected music educator and supporter of young musicians worldwide. He formed his own record label - 'Jazz Academy' - to feature his music and his pupils.

His autobiography 'Dusk Fire' was published in 2010 and he was honoured by the award of the MBE in the same year.

Michael Garrick will be remembered fondly by his former pupils, by his fellow musicians and by the jazz community at large. His legacy will surely be the many fine recordings he made in many different settings over the last 50 years.

from BritJazz
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 12:37pm
Never heard of him. Perhaps I'll check him out one day. RIP
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 2:07pm
His better known works (at least outside of UK) probably were his collaborations with Nucleus' Ian Carr and Don Rendell

Edited by snobb - 15 Nov 2011 at 2:08pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 3:14am
Wow!!!!!!!!! OuchUnhappyCry

I just discovered most of Garrick's solo works in the last year, and he became one of my fave British jazzer

I'd first become aware of him when he became the pianist of the Don Rendell & Ian Carr Quintet.... He was the stronger songwriter in the band, IMHO.

his early 70's works (the Heart Is A Lotus, Home Stretch Blues and Troppo) are all stupendous (especially the former), but one might want to approach the very strange Mr Smith's Apocalypse very cautiously.

RIP, Michael....

thanks for some recent musical joys...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic