JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italy Visit - Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italy Visit - Recommendations
    Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 10:26am
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to ask for your thoughts on gigs, music stores, artists etc that I might try and hunt down when I'm in Italy in a few days. My wife and I will be there for 3 weeks and I'm hoping to come across some treasures!

Ashley
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 11:50am
I don't know if Massimo Urbani is still gigging, but he is one of the best alto players I have ever heard.

Edited by js - 17 Sep 2011 at 11:51am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 12:27pm
When in Milano, visit Blue Note - old fashioned legendary club. Don't expect experimental or too modern sound there, but often you can hear there some world class artists live. The program usually is placed on their site for months ahead.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I don't know if Massimo Urbani is still gigging, but he is one of the best alto players I have ever heard.

Excellent, John - thank you, will definitely try find his CDs when there - though when researching him, I learn that he passed away. Going to try and get either The Blessing (his last) or something early, Invitation perhaps.

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

When in Milano, visit Blue Note - old fashioned legendary club. Don't expect experimental or too modern sound there, but often you can hear there some world class artists live. The program usually is placed on their site for months ahead.

Slava, that would be amazing - but we didn't end up adding Milan to the list of cities, now I regret it, as it sounds ace! Will try and stumble in to a gig when we're in Rome and other cities!
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:46am
Unhappy I spend a lot of time in Northern Italy but am useless in Rome or South
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 4:44pm

Unfortunately he died in 1993 from heroin overdose  
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:41am
Got back a couple days ago, thanks again for the recommendations - I found only 1 Urbani album (live at the blue lab) but brought Perigeo and a few others, a lot of Italian prog actually. Had a blast, will post a couple pics later on!
Slave, I would love to visit the north next time I visit Italy - took about 6 years to save for this trip, so it might take me a while :)
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:18am
Welcome Back Ashley. I had a chance to visit Italy once, beautiful country.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Got back a couple days ago, thanks again for the recommendations - I found only 1 Urbani album (live at the blue lab) but brought Perigeo and a few others, a lot of Italian prog actually. Had a blast, will post a couple pics later on!
Slave, I would love to visit the north next time I visit Italy - took about 6 years to save for this trip, so it might take me a while :)

OK than - if you saw Rome and Vatican than you know what the classic Italy isLOL. If you visited Napoli by chance, you know what the South is (I expect you didn't visit Salermo, it's very separate world ). If one day you will come to North,you will be surprised how different it is from what you saw before. North from Rome (better let say 100 km north) you will find European Italy - with Milano, Turino, ok - Venice (absolutely overloaded by tourists but fantastic site to visit, better at spring or autumn), Como-lake,Verona,Italian Alps. I love northern Italy, southern is ... let say exotic place.

Anyway, as you possibly noticed every even smallest place is full of antiques ruins there. You can be sure northern ruins will be the same even if you will come after six more years LOL
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

OK than - if you saw Rome and Vatican than you know what the classic Italy isLOL. If you visited Napoli by chance, you know what the South is (I expect you didn't visit Salermo, it's very separate world ). If one day you will come to North,you will be surprised how different it is from what you saw before. North from Rome (better let say 100 km north) you will find European Italy - with Milano, Turino, ok - Venice (absolutely overloaded by tourists but fantastic site to visit, better at spring or autumn), Como-lake,Verona,Italian Alps. I love northern Italy, southern is ... let say exotic place.

Anyway, as you possibly noticed every even smallest place is full of antiques ruins there. You can be sure northern ruins will be the same even if you will come after six more years LOL

Yep, had about a week in Rome, and we split the rest of our time between Amalfi, Florence and Venice.  In Rome we did see the Vatican, but it was packed, dreadful crowds. Much preferred Trevi or Pantheon in the end, easier to breathe ;)   Napoli we only stopped for a train transfer etc but the burning garbage caught our eyes as we passed on to Amalfi - which was pretty stunning.

Florence was probably my favourite city, I loved all the street art (as well as the galleries of course) and the Duomo is an impressive feat, and the climb to the cupola was long and narrow, but worthwhile for the view. Venezia I liked as well, the narrow right-angle streets and the water, but the food was less impressive than the other cities - HOWEVER, this was only one tiny part of the region, Santa Marco, the most tourist choked part I imagine.

Yeah, that part of the country sounds great too, Slava, (Como-lake,Verona,Italian Alps) and when I'm done saving again (sigh) I'd definitely like to head north. Especially to the mountains for some quieter moments :)

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 10:18pm

Here's the view as you climb to the top of the Duomo in Florence

From the top looking out (and a random person as a bonus)

Looking down toward the city, not a great shot though

And one in b&w for fun

And for context - here is the Duomo itself as seen from afar, which we climbed as per shots above (not my pic). 460 or so steps, a bit of a work-out but a worthwhile view.

Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 10:25pm
Thank you for sharing a wonderful photograph,Ash. I am fear of heights, but I watch it in peace because it is a photograph.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Thank you for sharing a wonderful photograph,Ash. I am fear of heights, but I watch it in peace because it is a photograph.

Smile The hardest part for me was probably the climb up because (aside from my fitness hahaha) it was close quarters, single file for folks going up AND coming down, so that was cosy.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:09am
A fear of heights combined with claustrophobia would have made that tough, nice pictures though, Italy is probably one of the most scenic countries I ever visited.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 4:33am

A fear of heights combined with claustrophobia would have made that tough, nice pictures though, Italy is probably one of the most scenic countries I ever visited.

Oh yeah! If I'd been afraid of heights it would have been tough indeed! Thanks, John - it's very, very scenic huh? I wonder how long it takes to become used to it, and walk by such wonders without half a glance?

How long were you there? And what parts did you see? - and you're favourite gelati flavour?
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 6:44am
It was a while back and I was young, but we (family) were there for a few days and hit the major cities in northern and central Italy. Rome was my favorite city, very noisy in a harmonious way, nice upbeat atmosphere.
My favorite was the country side though, I liked the old homes built into cliff sides that you could see in the distance. The country side is scenic in the way that Mediteranean areas always are. As a young person I was into herpatology and the reptiles you could find in the country were bizarre and exotic, very much a part of the old world.
I thought the food in Italy was great too, much better than northern Europe.

Edited by js - 19 Oct 2011 at 6:45am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 8:36pm

It was a while back and I was young, but we (family) were there for a few days and hit the major cities in northern and central Italy. Rome was my favorite city, very noisy in a harmonious way, nice upbeat atmosphere.
My favorite was the country side though, I liked the old homes built into cliff sides that you could see in the distance. The country side is scenic in the way that Mediteranean areas always are. As a young person I was into herpatology and the reptiles you could find in the country were bizarre and exotic, very much a part of the old world.
I thought the food in Italy was great too, much better than northern Europe.

Yes! I found Rome to be the same, noisy but definitely harmonious, and probably the most friendly city we saw, overall.

I deeply regret not seeing as much countryside as possible - though the Amalfi coast was like that a little, I'll try find a pic or two later. I never saw much in the way of reptiles, just flies in Naples and Amalfi, stray dogs in Pompeii and cats nearly everywhere.

The food, John, I can't believe how good it was. I think of it often - not quite in an obsessive way, but the calzones and the gelati especially, wow
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic