JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We Love Hiromi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:17pm
I saw her trio in Melbourne will consist of Simon Phillips and bassist Anthony Jackson (one time Corea'scollaborator among others) - that means trio's music will be close to her last album (read- energetic fusion). Her solo music is usually contemporary jazz (more muscular version of Keith Jarrett's non-third stream solo works)
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'm not sure, I would imagine her biggest fans might want to hear her solo, while jazz fans in general might go more for the trio.
I'm thinking as for myself, I would have to be very much into a piano player to prefer them solo. Herbie or Cecil Taylor are two pianists who I might want to hear solo. Actually I've already heard Taylor solo.
You are a brave man John.........Cecil Taylor solo. Was it good?  You know I would go for the trio Big smile 
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I saw her trio in Melbourne will consist of Simon Phillips and bassist Anthony Jackson (one time Corea'scollaborator among others) - that means trio's music will be close to her last album (read- energetic fusion). Her solo music is usually contemporary jazz (more muscular version of Keith Jarrett's non-third stream solo works)
It does look good the trio for her Slava. Still would go to the club not the concert hall though. Bet you it swings more at the club with audience particapation. Besides you can have a drink.

I am off to see Lonnie Smith myself. There are heaps of good ones at the festival but with work and already hardly being there on weekends due to the football season about to start here. Having to take my wife out and spend time with her as well. "I need a clone who I can send to do my job for me", that would solve it.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I'm not sure, I would imagine her biggest fans might want to hear her solo, while jazz fans in general might go more for the trio.
I'm thinking as for myself, I would have to be very much into a piano player to prefer them solo. Herbie or Cecil Taylor are two pianists who I might want to hear solo. Actually I've already heard Taylor solo.
You are a brave man John.........Cecil Taylor solo. Was it good?  You know I would go for the trio Big smile 
I've seen Taylor solo at the New Orleans jazz festival, and also in a larger ensemble in New York. I really liked the solo performance, it was mesmerizing.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I've seen Taylor solo at the New Orleans jazz festival, and also in a larger ensemble in New York. I really liked the solo performance, it was mesmerizing.
I would have been worried that it could have been the opposite. Was it all Avante or did he mix stuff up? I cannot get my wife to go to Jazz concerts usually unless it's George Benson. That New Orleans Jazz Festival. I have to get there one day.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 6:11pm
Taylor's concert was an endless assault on the piano without break, ha ha. You just float with it. Beer and have some beer first.
I hear the New Orleans Jazz Festival has become too big and crowded and there seems to be much less actual jazz too.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:10am
Tough choice between Aziza's trio or solo set, I'd probably try to see both. I do like solo piano performances. Pretty annoyed that I won't be able to make it however.

(sorry, hi-jaked the thread a little! Embarrassed)
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm
Bumping this thread to say how much Ive enjoyed Voice since I got it, and was a little surprised to see it's my most played album of hers after Time Control.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:49pm
Cool, I should order Voice today
Reviews...
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:25pm
I have never met a more confident player either!  I don't think the term 'nervous' is even in her vocabulary!  I saw her at a solo piano concert and before playing one of her tunes she told the audience to "fasten your seatbelt"!  Sure enough, she ripped!  Totally awesome!
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:11pm
Thanks to Kazuhiro for this information. In case you didn't see it in the New Releases thread, here you go:

Move (coming September 2012)

1. MOVE
2. Brand New Day
3. Endeavor
4. Rainmaker/Suite Escapism
5. Reality
6. Fantasy
7. In Between
8. Margarita!
9. 11:49 PM

- Hiromi Uehara / piano, keyboards
- Anthony Jackson / contrabass guitar
- Simon Phillips / drums

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:03pm
So it seems that Hiromi's new album is going to be released September 11, 2012 in Japan, and won't be released in Europe until October 2, 2012, or the US until March 5, 2013. If you want it this month, and you don't live in Japan, you'll have to order an import, upwards of $50 or more. This is what happened when Voice was released, right? Because I remember not buying it right away for a similar reason.

http://mediakits.concordmusicgroup.com/p/move/press-release.html
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:42pm
I did not know what there was such a difference in in United States and Japan about the date of publication of a new album. I put a few samples, but judgment materials may not have it.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 10:16pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1rxYw7Y45Eo

Edited by Kazuhiro - 11 Sep 2012 at 10:17pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:43am
Cool
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:57am
After several first spins "Move" sounds as strong Hiromi's fusion album - very muscular,full of energy and quite melodic. No big changes comparing with her best previous works, but for fans of her music I expect this album will take a place between her best releases
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:56pm
^ Good to hear. Where did you get your copy Slava?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 2:18pm
Fortunately I have  friends running CD shop (jazz+prog) with huge catalog, I can borrow almost everything. And they have big list of Japanese releases - I love Japanese versions of any albums, as rule their remix is very soft and acoustic, live recordings are excellent . Japanese releases are pricey to buy, but for albums you're sure you want to have it in your collection it usually pays.

Hiromi's album I listen is Japanese one, great dynamic range, price for retail is kind of 40 USD or more  I think

Edited by snobb - 12 Sep 2012 at 2:18pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:21pm
If you haven't picked up Hiromi's newest album "Move" yet, well, you better go get it. It's one fantastic album, might be better than "Voice". It's a very proggy album, and contains some of her best written material as far as I'm concerned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic