JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for new music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for new music
    Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:27pm
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new jazz albums. However, I'm looking for albums that have specific types of songs. Really tight bass, especially if it's slap bass. Good groove, crisp guitar, lots of electric piano, clavinet, etc. but of course real jazzy too.

It doesn't have to be the whole album, but I'm looking for albums that have songs similar to these:

Bill Bruford - "Five G"
Return to Forever - "Sorceress"
Billy Cobham - "The Pleasant Pheasant"
Herbie Hancock - "Palm Grease"
Mike Stern - "Tipatina's"

John Scofield - "Otay"

Victor Wooten - "Hip Bop"

Marcus Miller - "Miller Time"

Hiromi - "Kung-Fu World Champion"

Alphonso Johnson - "Stump"
Tony Williams - "Snake Oil"
Steve Jenkins - "Watch Where You Point That Thing"
Jaco Pastorious - "Opus Pocus"
Greg Howe/Victor Wooten/Dennis Chambers - "Tease"
Brand X - "Nuclear Burn"
Jean-Luc Ponty - "The Trans-Love Express"
Jeff Beck - "Thelonious"

**Edit** Here's more

Jan Hammer Group - "Magical Dog"

Jan Hammer Group - "Evolve"
Stanley Clarke - "Lopsy Lu"

Edited by darkshade - 29 Aug 2011 at 12:55am
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm

What about this?

I'll think of more later.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:59pm
YEA! You've got the right idea. I'm looking for something harder than that, more attitude. But, I really like that song, and you're on the right track. How's the rest of that album?

Keep 'em coming.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

YEA! You've got the right idea. I'm looking for something harder than that, more attitude. But, I really like that song, and you're on the right track. How's the rest of that album?

Keep 'em coming.

Well, it's from Argentina, and I think it's impossible to get it somewhere, so I kinda gave you false hope. Embarrassed The rest of the album is great man, lots of fantastic bass, it varies from that funky but solid fusion to more jazzy stuff.

I've uploaded the whole album to YouTube, if you're interested.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 9:11pm
yea if anything I could download them from youtube, and convert them to mp3 or something.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 9:34pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
^ Thanks. I know all 4 of those, though I had forgotten all about the Bunny Brunell/Tony McAlpine one. Nice
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 3:32pm
Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

Since you like Ponty (and Mahavishnu/RtF):

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 4:23pm

Try this bloke, last time I saw him he was with Bill Evans (Sax player used to play with Miles)

Here

Here is one that I liked as well

Helen 12 Trees
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:42pm
Indeed,It seems that an appropriate recommendation continues. And, Dean Brown will join the site in the future. Smile
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:43pm
How about this?

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

Since you like Ponty (and Mahavishnu/RtF):

First one (Larry Young) was awesome. Though not what I'm looking for, I will be checking that out anyway. Sounds early 70s. Always been meaning to check out some of Larry Young's albums.

**The second video didn't work**

I really enjoyed the third one. Some awesome fusion there! It isn't quite what I'm looking for either, but this is also something I will be checking out. I have Lenny's "Streamline" album, which is very good, and has a song on there that fits the description of what I'm looking for in the song Struttin.

The last one with Jeff Berlin is really good, wish it had better sound quality. It is the closest to what I'm looking for of these 3 videos. Still not exactly it, but this is some great music.

I liked all the songs, very nice. Keep em coming.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:56am
I updated my original post with some songs that are the type of songs I'm looking for.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 1:03am
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

The Chick Corea Elektric Band one is what I'm looking for, though I have that album already. The Joe Zawinul one is also what I am looking for, though heavy on the world music side of things. The George Duke one is kinda what I'm looking for, but a lot of his stuff always feels too 'light'. You've definitely got the right idea. Any more?

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

How about this?

Kind of. There's too much rock, or at least the guitar is too 'rock'-ish.

Edited by darkshade - 29 Aug 2011 at 1:11am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:56am

N

Hey that second video works now. Is that Michael Urbaniak? Yea it has that RTF/Mahavishnu sound. Another really good track here, and that one example of the type of music I'm looking for. (It sucks because it seems to cut off in the middle of the song)

I think what I'm looking for is somewhat rare in the 70s, and is more likely to have come out in the 80s and later.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

N

Hey that second video works now. Is that Michael Urbaniak? Yea it has that RTF/Mahavishnu sound. Another really good track here, and that one example of the type of music I'm looking for. (It sucks because it seems to cut off in the middle of the song)

I think what I'm looking for is somewhat rare in the 70s, and is more likely to have come out in the 80s and later.

I see, I see, that's what I came up with that Jeff Berlin/Mouzon clip that is very 80s fusion sounding.

FYI, I was basing my recs on these tracks you posted: Sorceress, Opus Pocus,  Pleasant Pheasant, Five G, Stump, Thelonious and Trans-Love Express basically. (yes, classic 70s fusion hehe)

Here's another Urbaniak track, if you're interested:

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 7:05pm

Edited by Kazuhiro - 29 Aug 2011 at 7:06pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:39am
I forgot about this thread. Anyone got any more stuff? 
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:29pm

Bass solo in there somewhere - this is all I can think of right now - by aziza mustafa zadeh, not that close but maybe?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:18pm
Mike, I know that you are fusion fan. And I just checked a keyboardist called Art Spike Schloemer. Here is a few samples.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic