JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pop jazz for the prog rock fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you feel that it is interesting?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
10 [76.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop jazz for the prog rock fan
    Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 1:03am

I tried to look for a progressive tune from the section of pop jazz as much as possible.

The tune is not completely progressive. However, I thought that an arrangement and a complex melody were able to enjoy the fan of prog rock.

I want to hear the opinion if it feels it if they are interesting.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 2:45am
Outside the track above, I'm not familiar with Bob James...

I always thought that Spyro's latin fusion terribly booooooring and even mildly irritating if pushed slightly above background music volume

sooooooo, it's all left to Chicago's early stuff, really888 But don't look elsewhere beyond the 8th album, though .... Coz it sucks!!!...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 3:13am
I would rather suggest Romantic Warrior by RtF or something by Mahavishnu to a Prog Rock fan, or maybe Spectrum by Cobham.

But out of those samples, Chicago.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 12:47pm
Interesting question.  I voted for Chicago because of their early material but I would encourage the curious prog rocker out there to investigate early Gino Vannell, "Powerful People" and "Storm at Sunup" in particular, because despite his flamboyant posturing his band did a great job of blending jazz with prog, especially during their extended instrumental segments.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 4:26pm
Steely Dan too?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 7:17pm
I actually voted for Bob because of the arrangement, though 'Chicago' overall might be better for the prog fan
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 7:50pm

It is very significant for me to hear everyone's opinion. Thank you.

Anyway, I often listened and was researching pop jazz. Steely Dan that Alex referred might be a good example. For Aja especially

Or, I did not put it on the list though I thought about "Seven Days" of Sting. I expected the vote to gather in Chicago a little of course.

Postscript

Thank you for recommending Gino Vannelli, Rollie

I will check it at once. I felt it very wonderful.

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 12:52am
Bob James has his moments, but at least from what I heard no 'progressive' to be found, thus little interest for the prog fan imo. Don't know this SG, so can't really comment. I'm left to say Chicago. Though they are certainly the most rock (and less pop, at least their early stuff, which is what I'm assuming is being talked about here) so for a prog-rock fan that may be a plus.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criticdrummer94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 8:28pm
Chicago. Their first album is Genius
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 8:38pm

^Welcome to the site. Yes. I think that the music character of Chicago is almost consolidated in an initial album.

I will enumerate 5, (8), and 11 as a personal favorite.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Chicago. Their first album is Genius
welcome
Smile 

have you heard Chicago 7??

it's a double album (like their first three), but you'd have a hard time recognizing the first disc as Chicago.... They're pure JR/F on this one, some where betwenn Santana and early Weather Report (and I love it)... The second disc is normal mid-peroid Chicago like 5 or 8

Edited by Sean Trane - 26 Aug 2011 at 3:38am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:03pm
I love Bob James, and think that's a very good track and gets my vote.  My favourite album of his One, which I think a great progressive JRF album. The Chicago one is my least liked -- never really liked the band in any incarnation.

Edited by Logan - 29 Oct 2011 at 12:08pm
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:10pm
Thanks, just fixed the tag on that one, I knew there were some really good early Bob James records out there, I just can't remember which ones. He's a great keyboardist, but in the late 70s his name became synonymous with the most commercial jazz.

Edited by js - 29 Oct 2011 at 12:13pm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:14pm
He played different types of jazz.  From avant-garde jazz in the 60s with two albums, to progressive jazz-rock/funk, to smooth jazz/ pop....Check out his '63 and '65 albums if you ever get the chance -- very good.

Edited by Logan - 29 Oct 2011 at 12:17pm
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:33pm
Those top two cuts are a treasure trove of popular hip-hop samples, couldn't believe how many familiar riffs and melodies there are.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:19pm
I can say the same for a little of the jazz, funk, beat, groove, exotica music I listen to.  I've been amazed at finding out how much of what I do listen to has been sampled by hip-hoppers.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:43pm
^ yes, hip-hop artists sample from anything, there is no limit from what Ive heard. Rock, bluegrass. But funk and soul take the cake.

Anyway, pop jazz for the prog rock fan.... Have you heard Weather Report - "Heavy Weather"?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:19pm

Chicago here.  

"Oooooohh now, Baby Please don't go"
Matt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

He played different types of jazz.  From avant-garde jazz in the 60s with two albums, to progressive jazz-rock/funk, to smooth jazz/ pop....Check out his '63 and '65 albums if you ever get the chance -- very good.

certainly will, thanks

Welcome BTW!!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ yes, hip-hop artists sample from anything, there is no limit from what Ive heard. Rock, bluegrass. But funk and soul take the cake.

Anyway, pop jazz for the prog rock fan.... Have you heard Weather Report - "Heavy Weather"?

Yep, Heavy Weather should appeal to many of those into jazz  pop; whereas, I would say that  I Sing the Body Electric and the debut would be more likely to appeal to more adventurous people who enjoy progressive music.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

certainly will, thanks

Welcome BTW!!

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic