JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

And what about Singers ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And what about Singers ?
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:43pm
I hope that i didnt miss someone talking about this already, if so, tell me !

So, and what about singers? I have to admit it, the scat thing, or jut the great voices, they really get to me. So this is my top three:

Ella Fitzgerald, she really doesn't need an introduction right? Still, her version of How High the Moon, i could listen to it in loop for hours http://youtu.be/T8Ji4uG4cac this version is as good as the live in berlin one, and she sings a bit of bossa on her solo ! And i have to admit that her humor is a big influence on myself while improvising. O Nosso amor vai ser assim, o nosso amor vai ser assim !

Jon Hendricks, for me the king of scat, different from ella, different from pops, different from everybody else, first of all he does not have a 'beautiful voice' i mean, its not a sinatra, its not a clear thing, its something like a bluesy, whiskey kind of voice, bt damn.. believe me he can sing high, and he's known as the only one that all the other musicians trusted to put lyrics on musics such night in tunisia or translating the O Pato from Joćo Gilberto. And to not forget his work lambert and ross on the trio Lambert, hendricks & Ross ( in this one there is no scat.. bt try to sing that, and then youll see ! http://youtu.be/sgr17FfnxtI there is some weird sounds on the beginning bt it doesnt affect the song.. damn youtube users ahah) 

Maria Joćo, and now something from portugal.. if you dont know her already you really should, some critics call her the portuguese monk (the meredith, not the thelonious), because of  her experiments with her voice while improvising, she is really gifted, and when it comes to improvising she is really inspiring. http://grooveshark.com/#/s/H+Gente+Aqui/33vMb7?src=5 and http://www.musicme.com/#/Maria-Jo%C3%A3o/titres/Modern-Mode---I'm-Old-Fashioned-t1782287.html?play=0602517897830-01_06

what about you, what singers inspire you?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:49pm
I like Cool singers, Chet Baker, Peggy Lee, etc.
Billy Holiday is nice too. I also like those old school blues shouters like Big Joe and that guy who was always with Count Basie.
Moving into RnB I like ensemble vocals like EW&F and Parliament, also individuals like Stevie Wonder, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding etc.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:52pm
I'm not big on sung jazz...
Sure Satchmo and Ella have their merits, but I must say that I much prefer instrumental jazz...

this said, the main exception I'd make is Norma Winstone.... her works in the late 60's and early 70's wxas incredible
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:41pm
I also prefer instrumental jazz. However I enjoy the little Ella Fitzgerald I've heard. Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong has his place of course, made some classics of music; not just jazz. What A Wonderful World has been a favorite since I was a child.

Richard Bona's stuff kinda makes me laugh (in a good way), only because I have no idea what he's singing; it's in some African (?) language. The music is somewhat jazz-funk, with some World Music influence.

Edited by darkshade - 16 Aug 2011 at 5:42pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:08pm
Yes. I think that the Black Coffee of Peggy Lee is a wonderful tune. Or, Ann Burton is recommended.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 4:18am
Louis Armstrong at any time of day and night, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone and Nat King Cole from the old guard.
Diana Krall, Madeleine Peyroux, Lizz Wright, Malia from the 'young' generation
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 6:20am
I forgot Abbey Lincoln
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 10:27am
Joe Williams
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 4:57pm
Hi,

Sadly, for my ears, most of the singing in jazz is done to add melody to the music ... and I'm not sure I have found, or heard a single singer, male or female, that could be said to really be singing "jazz" per definition ... since that would mean it is all improvised and free form, and in general, you would only find it in performance ... since in "pure" and "true" jazz, you can't really duplicate what you just did ... might get near it, but what was done, is done and gone, and this minute is different than the next minute.

While I can appreciate Ella and Flora and so many others, in many ways, they added "pop" to the definition of jazz in my book, and while they were very good, the music behind them was not really jazz.

Although the music is hardly "jazz", one can even check out Lisa Garrard doing her thing with Klaus Schulze, and in many ways that free form-ness is much more "jazz" flavored, even though it is rock/electronic done, than a lot of the jazz singers out there, that again, to my ear, are simply adding melody to the counter melody part of the music.

Edited by Moshkito - 25 Aug 2011 at 5:01pm
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 7:51pm

Don't mean to sully the thread, but I too perfer my jazz without vocals. In fact, of all genres and types of music jazz (and jazz related things) is my least favorite type of music to contain vocals, and IMVHO it rarely works out well, espeically for the music. Now I'm sure in the vast world of jazz somewhere it does, but I'm not wading through it all to find it.

Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Don't mean to sully the thread, but I too perfer my jazz without vocals. In fact, of all genres and types of music jazz (and jazz related things) is my least favorite type of music to contain vocals, and IMVHO it rarely works out well, espeically for the music. Now I'm sure in the vast world of jazz somewhere it does, but I'm not wading through it all to find it.

Try Ella Fitzgerald. She uses her voice as another instrument, and does some pretty complex stuff sometimes (not to mention her band(s) are phenomenal).
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 8:40pm
I know very few jazz with vocals, but someday I will start to listen some of the already mentioned classics.

In the less "popular" jazz field, you got Leon Thomas who also uses his voice as another instrument with his superb yodelling. I love his album Spirits Unknown and Known.
Tania Maria has a fine voice.

Jobim's voice is heaven-like.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 9:46pm
yea I gotta say, of the jazz with vocals that I know, it is like .001% of my collection. I'm not expert on the subject.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:58am

Don't mean to sully the thread, but I too perfer my jazz without vocals. In fact, of all genres and types of music jazz (and jazz related things) is my least favorite type of music to contain vocals, and IMVHO it rarely works out well, especially for the music. Now I'm sure in the vast world of jazz somewhere it does, but I'm not wading through it all to find it.

I kind of disagree

sung jazz like Cab Calloway, Bing Crosby, Satchmo Armstrong, Elle, Billie, Bessie,  or even that Sinatra mafia twit work wonders for the music and the type of music it is... I mean it's made for for it... It's mainlu big-band music written with vocals 

But it's definitely not my cup of tea, that's all.

Where I find it (vocals) really doesn't do justice to the music is in post-65 jazz and JR/F

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 7:55am

Ken Burns
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:33am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 4:12pm

Frank Sinatra 

Jimmy Rushing
Kurt Elling
Billie Holiday
Chet Baker........actually prefer his vocals to his playing
Cassandra Wilson
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Nat King Cole
And although technically not a Jazz vocalist......Sam Cooke

Louis Armstrong....His trumpet playing though has the  edge over his vocals. First recorded scat was done by Pops if I remember right.'Heebie Jeebies" but there is previous stuff. Al Jolson in 1911 is one example but psst its not the same as Pops

Who saw the singing bullfrog from Merrie Melody's cartoons. He was singing Al Jolson

"Hello my Baby
Hello my Honey
Hello my Ragtime girl"

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 4:31pm
When I was  very young, if you got up really early on Saturday morning they would have really early cartoons on the TV with music that sounded like Fletcher Henderson etc.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

When I was  very young, if you got up really early on Saturday morning they would have really early cartoons on the TV with music that sounded like Fletcher Henderson etc.
John I learnt so much from all those early cartoons, films. It is probaly the reason that I like all those old big Latin bands. There were heaps of old black and white movies that used to have that music in the Soundtrack. Loved the Bugs Bunny Show and still do. They are brilliant those cartoons. I wish they would release the more modern ones..50's up. They had a set of collections but kept releasing so much really old stuff which is great for the critics but what about all of us who used to watch em" I do own them but I would have done it different. There is no Foghorn Leghorn or Sylvestor when he had the son who used to put a paper bag over his head over the shame of his father (Sylvestor). All the big Bugs, Daffy and Road Runner are there but there are so many others.  Do you remember seeing "The Three Little Pigs" which was sung like an Rock and Roll song throughout the entire cartoon. Of course they have not released it.Unhappy
Matt
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Don't mean to sully the thread, but I too perfer my jazz without vocals. In fact, of all genres and types of music jazz (and jazz related things) is my least favorite type of music to contain vocals, and IMVHO it rarely works out well, especially for the music. Now I'm sure in the vast world of jazz somewhere it does, but I'm not wading through it all to find it.

I kind of disagree

sung jazz like Cab Calloway, Bing Crosby, Satchmo Armstrong, Elle, Billie, Bessie,  or even that Sinatra mafia twit work wonders for the music and the type of music it is... I mean it's made for for it... It's mainlu big-band music written with vocals 

But it's definitely not my cup of tea, that's all.

Where I find it (vocals) really doesn't do justice to the music is in post-65 jazz and JR/F

Ok, I admit. I spoke hastily. You are right. If it is big band music written with vocals tham that can be good. I probably should have narrowed my critique to the forms of jazz I"m much more  familar with (which especially isn't the early stuff). To me, it can just sound forced sometimes or not place the focus where I want it to be. This is especially true in the JR/F field, which it's hard for me to name one example where I like that mix.

In any case, I do prefer the instrument jazz more.  
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic