JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous multi-instrumentalists in jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:44am
Hey Shrdlu, you sound like someone who could probably write good reviews. Have you checked out our album review and/or ratings feature?

Edited by js - 31 Jul 2014 at 9:46am
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 3:02pm
Might do.

I was wondering, do two saxophones count, bearing in mind that most saxophone players  have at least  two instruments?

If so, then we have Sonny Stitt and James Moody, both of whom regularly played both alto and tenor saxophones equally well. That is a little out of the ordinary, because most alto and tenor players play only one of them normally. Moody was also one of the finest flute players.

When you get into flute, you find that it is mostly played by saxophone players, and so you have a large number of doublers.

Speaking for myself, I have always felt a need to play more than one horn. At first, it was alto saxophone and clarinet, and now (restricting it to saxophones) it's tenor and soprano saxophones.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm

I think of an Marcus Miller, known to be seen around his clarinet, keyboards, guitar, and saxophone.
And of course one of the best players of a jazz solo parts.
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:20pm
Let's not forget Danny Bank. He was on many jazz sessions with a medium to large orchestra.

His primary instrument was the baritone saxophone, but he also regularly played an arsenal of woodwind instruments: regular clarinet, bass clarinet, flute and alto flute - and probably others.

He played bass clarinet on the sessions Miles did with Gil Evans, and was a regular on Blue Note sessions when more than a quintet was required.

Michael Cuscuna told me that Danny had a platinum flute and that he got to try it out.

Danny, along with Gerry Mulligan and Pepper Adams, hated the stupid low A extension that has plagued the baritone saxophone since the 1950s. It isn't needed, and it messes up the harmonics on the instrument, partly because the extension isn't conical.
ava maneux View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ava maneux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 2:22pm
Most of them... Eric Dolphy, for instance... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic