JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ron Carter - Where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ron Carter - Where to start?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:04am
Hi everyone, I'm looking for help with Ron. I've been looking to expand my collection in regard to 'sidemen' who I know from dozens of albums from the Big Boys like Miles and Hancock etc and Ron has been on my list for a long time. Time to dive in I think!

So I'd like to ask, where would you start? Or, your opinion on any essential albums?

Thanks!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:46am
All of the Miles quintet albums are great, but the ones before Miles started getting the rock pulse seem to show off Carter's skills the best, "Scorcer", "Nefertiti" and "Water Babies"  show Carter's ability to juggle several meters and accents as he is the lynch pin between William's abstract beats and the soloists free excursions.

I also like a lot of Carter's semi commercial work on tons of early 70s CTI albums, back when pop jazz was still treated as an art and not just cookie cutter music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:47am
In my experience, you "run into" Ron Carter. I have tons of jazz albums that he is on. It may be best to do some research, like wikipedia or something. Do make sure you have all the Miles second great quintet albums
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 8:18pm
I think that quintet and VSOP of Miles Davis serve as a reference. Or, "Third Plane" can be recommended as a subjective opinion.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:17am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

All of the Miles quintet albums are great, but the ones before Miles started getting the rock pulse seem to show off Carter's skills the best, "Scorcer", "Nefertiti" and "Water Babies"  show Carter's ability to juggle several meters and accents as he is the lynch pin between William's abstract beats and the soloists free excursions.

I also like a lot of Carter's semi commercial work on tons of early 70s CTI albums, back when pop jazz was still treated as an art and not just cookie cutter music.

Excellent, thanks, John - I've been looking to pick up Nefertiti at least, for a while actually, will go there soon. Actually - his work as a leader is where I'd like to explore, I'll check out the CTI. Done a bit of reading about his work there and that might be where I'll start.

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

In my experience, you "run into" Ron Carter. I have tons of jazz albums that he is on. It may be best to do some research, like wikipedia or something. Do make sure you have all the Miles second great quintet albums

Yes! He's kinda everywhere - 2,500 sessions or so, according to wiki. Wow indeed. Cool, thank you - still missing a couple of the Second Quintet, so will end up polishing that collection off soon. Any thoughts on Carter as a leader?

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I think that quintet and VSOP of Miles Davis serve as a reference. Or, "Third Plane" can be recommended as a subjective opinion.

Thanks, Kazuhiro - I will have to finish off the VSOP stuff too - and thanks for the 'Third Plane' tip - Williams and Hancock on that one too, I see. Sounds tops!
Reviews...
dtig80 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtig80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:13am
Miles Smiles is a great album to buy. It's amazing how Hancock, Williams and Carter gel on that album. This along with Shorter's compositions provide for a must listen. Also, Davis almost has a bebop style to his solos. I do agree with Wynton Marsalis when he said that Davis couldn't really keep up with Shorter's complex changes. It's especially evident on this album but it's still a masterpiece.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:22pm
Try this album

One of my favorite trio albums
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by dtig80 dtig80 wrote:

Miles Smiles is a great album to buy. It's amazing how Hancock, Williams and Carter gel on that album. This along with Shorter's compositions provide for a must listen. Also, Davis almost has a bebop style to his solos. I do agree with Wynton Marsalis when he said that Davis couldn't really keep up with Shorter's complex changes. It's especially evident on this album but it's still a masterpiece.
I agree that Miles has a very different, almost old school tone on that album.
Re Wynton: what he says about Miles may be true, but you have to wonder why Wynton is always throwing little digs at Miles.
By the way, you sound like someone who could write an excellent review. Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:38pm
^ The second great quintet is my favorite era of Miles before 1969. Besides having that all-star cast (when didn't he?), the atmosphere on all the albums is exquisite. One cannot get more Ron Carter stuff without making sure they have all the Miles stuff first.
dtig80 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtig80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
Thank you for the compliment. I do have to agree with you on the idea the Wynton Marsalis knocking on Miles Davis is a little outrageous. I can see how you can criticize him for the later parts of his career but nonetheless, Miles changed everything. i respect him for moving into fusion. There's nothing wrong with changes. Marsalis plays classical at times and it's the same concept. The only difference is that Miles became bitter toward jazz artists later in his career almost completely alienated himself from the genre. Marsalis still plays jazz with the passion that cannot be matched by any modern trumpet player.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 4:21am
All Blues is worth trying
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 3:05pm
another good one

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:09am

if you like latin jazz, try this one

Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:18am
Thanks idlero and everyone! Have a nice list going so far. I've now just got to find the cash to invest. damn money
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:10am
^ you can try and find them on the net, give them a listen and decide in which ones to invest
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:31am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^ you can try and find them on the net, give them a listen and decide in which ones to invest

I'm sure there's lots of stuff on Youtube, but let's not mention other "ways" on this thread.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:33am

I'm sure there's lots of stuff on Youtube, but let's not mention other "ways" on this thread.

Yeah. I will do some listening on youtube, but not much, as it can sometimes spoil the experience of an album for me. I usually read up on an album, reviews and history etc, get some advice, and then take the plunge and just order it.  It makes it more exciting, more of an event, when an album arrives if I haven't actually heard too much of it. Wink
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 11:42am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah. I will do some listening on youtube, but not much, as it can sometimes spoil the experience of an album for me. I usually read up on an album, reviews and history etc, get some advice, and then take the plunge and just order it.  It makes it more exciting, more of an event, when an album arrives if I haven't actually heard too much of it. Wink

When it comes to jazz, Ive always, and still do, pretty much know if I'm going to like a new album or not; based on who it is, and what the lineup is. I usually don't even have to sample anything. With other genre's I sometimes have to.

Edited by darkshade - 09 Aug 2011 at 11:43am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:46pm
I always have to listen before a purchase.Excepting EST there is no artist/band that I like all his/it's releases
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:54pm

I always have to listen before a purchase.Excepting EST there is no artist/band that I like all his/it's releases

Well I don't blindly buy albums either. I usually do research online, read reviews, articles, wikipedia, etc... MAYBE check out one song from youtube or something. But I like popping in the CD and not necessarily knowing what's going to happen. 9 times out of 10, I'm satisfied.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic