JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Third Stream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Third Stream
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:38am
Through another thread on avant garde music I've become interested in this style called "Third Stream" that mixes jazz and classical music. So far I really enjoy Milton Babbitt's ALL SET album. I'm looking for more Third Stream music, but I want composers who mixed avant garde jazz with modern classical music. Meaning, I don't enjoy jazz standards mixed with classical music, or even avant garde mixed with baroque. I'm really looking for more avant garde jazz influenced by the likes of Messiaen/Schonenberg/Bartok and the likes. Any suggestions?
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:43am
I'm looking through the third stream section of this site, and what I see is mostly Jazz artists accompanied by orchestras, or jazz musicians playing mordern classical music, or orchestra arrangements of jazz music. Can't seem to find anything in the vein of that ALL SET album that actually play a mix of modern serialism with avant garde jazz, really need recommendations to navigate towards the portion of third stream artists I might enjoy!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:32pm
^ I don't think what you describe could be called Third Stream. But some might know better. 
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ I don't think what you describe could be called Third Stream. But some might know better. 
Who cares what its called as long as it exists! Their must be more than that ALL SET album in that genre out there and I NEED to get my hands (well, ears...) on it!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:10pm
Milton Babbitt is a  pretty unique composer, and even among his own music, "All Set" is a fairly unique piece.
I don't know of too many other pieces like "All Set", and I don't know of many other composers who sound like Babbitt.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:54am
Originally posted by seb2112 seb2112 wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Who cares what its called as long as it exists! Their must be more than that ALL SET album in that genre out there and I NEED to get my hands (well, ears...) on it!

Sure it counts, if you want avantgarde but ask for third stream you might have the avantgarde fans not answer your call. That's a simple forum life fact. Wink
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:40am
Try Lucian Ban-Enesco Re-Imagined
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:50am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_stream
You should find some kind of answers here

of course this remains Wiki, with its ups and flaws
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic