JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Coltrane - "A Love Surpreme"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Coltrane - "A Love Surpreme"
    Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:05am
One of the best and most popular jazz albums for a reason; it's that good!

I listened to this yesterday and the mood of the album is still in my head. I won't go into what kind of jazz it is exactly Wink but I can say it is strong and catches your ear right away, whether you're really into jazz or not. I'm sure everyone here has heard this album plenty of times, but as I was listening last night, I realized it had been about 3 or 4 years since I sat down and listened to it (I know).

I also remember it inspired me to get another album similar in style, though a little more abrasive IMO, Alice Coltrane's "Journey In Satchidananda"

so Beer to A Love Supreme. It helped me further explore jazz back when I was relatively new to it, and has brought great happiness after keeping my ears from hearing the beauty that this album is for so long.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 7:40pm

It is good alright Thumbs Up  Cheers Beer

Matt
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 1:50pm
It's indeed a nice album.

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
I was the first to rate it, suckaaaaas
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:20pm
Absolute CLASSIC in every way possible. Brilliant.

What an amazing quartet  period.  A Love Supreme is THE album that got me into jazz.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:21pm
Pretty much, also, welcome to the site Krilons Resa
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
A classic album!No discussion.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Pretty much, also, welcome to the site Krilons Resa

Hey, thanks.   I'm glad to catch wind of it and even more pumped that P-A decided to get into a J-A. Clap  The genre needs it.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:26pm
I know this is fairly terrible, but I just got this album for christmas about two weeks ago (yes, you read correctly). Just listened for the first time...quite nice indeed. Though, after listen one I think I prefer his Ascension album.

But certainly a Jazz classic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:56pm
Christmas

Two weeks ago

what
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Christmas

Two weeks ago

what

Long story short: My uncle got it for me for christmas, but I didn't see him for christmas til about two weeks. Being it was wrapped up in shiny paper and a bow I still count it as a christmas gift.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:38pm
haha okay
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:55pm
I didn't  much  like it for a very long time same goes for Bitches Brew (which i still don't much care for) but i got
 A Love supreme on the Vinyl  just last Month and now i cant stop listening to it  shore does grow on you. 
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:00pm
I came to it via "Love Devotion Surrender". As with much of my collection, it's organically grown from research into one artist. ie; I like Santana...Santana plays with McLaughlin...album is a tribute to Coltrane......listen to the original etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic