JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chord Progression Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chord Progression Suggestions
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:11am
For the following chord progression I'd like some suggestions in terms of substitutions, extensions and alterations.

The original is I - V - viim - IV Unhappy

So in C that would be C - G - Am - F

I've come up with E7/C - Fm7/G - F#dim - Bm/F

Suggestions?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
Am would be vi not vii
Some of your chords may not be spelled right, you have an F at the root of a b,d, f # triad, maybe that was on purpose.

If you want to modernize your C G am F sequence, and still have it function the way the original does, try this.

em7/C     am7/G       em7/A        am7/F
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:44am
Now in a modern blues style.
em7b5/C    dm7                bm7b5/G                 am7    cm6               F7    

Edited by js - 28 Jul 2011 at 9:55am
chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:01am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Am would be vi not vii
Some of your chords may not be spelled right, you have an F at the root of a b,d, f # triad, maybe that was on purpose.

If you want to modernize your C G am F sequence, and still have it function the way the original does, try this.

em7/C     am7/G       em7/A        am7/F

In terms of the spelling I was going for Cmaj7#5 - G11b9 - F#dim - Fmaj13b9#11.
Hope that's better.
But thanks for the suggestions! Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:13am
I see, I went back to your original, it sounds good with some really extended harmonies, but I don't get the diminished chord it seems out of place. Do you mean a fully diminished 7 chord ie   f# a c d#
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:21am
By the way, I bet you could write some good album reviews.  Wink
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by chuckyspell chuckyspell wrote:

For the following chord progression I'd like some suggestions in terms of substitutions, extensions and alterations.

The original is I - V - viim - IV Unhappy

So in C that would be C - G - Am - F

I've come up with E7/C - Fm7/G - F#dim - Bm/F

Suggestions?

You mean vi (or vim)?

None of this really works man, I can tell by looking at it (with the greatest of respect to you)

- First chord is along the right lines of tertiary substitution (substitution by thirds), however there is one note that clouds its identity as a diatonically functioning chord, and that's the B natural, the 5th of E7. Because C is the route of your chord, for it to sound nice you need to treat it like a C7 chord, using notes from E7 to spice it up. As mentioned above, the only issue is the B natural, and to make the chord function as a nice dominant, just flatten it. Your new chord would be E7(b5)/C, or otherwise known as a C9(#5).

-The next chord would work fine for an unresolved effect, however personally I'd keep the F in the bass and make it a minor 9, just a suggestion.

- I don't really understand the context of this chord (f#dim) unless you are modulating to Gm, which you don't in the next chord. Maybe think this over a little bit more? Diminished chords have a very special place and mostly function as a hollow type dominant as a substitute for chord V, e.g. you're F# diminished would work nicely as a substitute for D7 in G minor, so long as it wasn't an final cadence. You can't really dot them around anywhere in diatonic harmony...

- Unless you are purposely trying to create something that sounds horrific (horror movie composers use this bad boy all the time), then this chord has pretty much no function, because the parent chord and the root note are a tritone apart. Minor chords don't have a tritone relationship like dominant 7th chords do!

Your initial chord sequence is ok, however it doesn't really serve itself to substitutions as it kind of ignores pythagoras's pendulum model. I'd suggest changing the order around so that the G is at the end of the sequence.

As for effective substitutions in western harmony, I'll be posting an article of mine on them in the next few days, referring to all the most commonly used substitutions (including tritone and tertiary) plus some harmony basics, so I'll link you here. Also feel free to inbox me

Edited by Jazz Pianist - 28 Jul 2011 at 10:58am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 11:59am
sorry guys now I've seen it I meant vim (typo error)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:03pm

I see, I went back to your original, it sounds good with some really extended harmonies, but I don't get the diminished chord it seems out of place. Do you mean a fully diminished 7 chord ie   f# a c d#

Yes that's what I meant.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:15pm
Fully diminished chords aren't usually used in modern jazz (since about the early 40s) they sound pretty square compared to the other more complex chords you are using there.
Like jazz pianist said, they were great for in house organ players when accompanying old horror movies Shocked
Try looking into half-diminished chords ie  f# a c e  etc,  which will supply a much more modern sound that would jive better with your modern extended chords.

Edited by js - 28 Jul 2011 at 12:15pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:20pm
In most modern (post 40s) jazz, a fully diminished chord is like a substitute for a dominant 7th and would probably be spelled out like a 7th with a flat 9, but just a plain fully diminished seventh chord without any extra tones is going to sound dated.

Edited by js - 28 Jul 2011 at 12:21pm
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

You mean vi (or vim)?

None of this really works man, I can tell by looking at it (with the greatest of respect to you)

- First chord is along the right lines of tertiary substitution (substitution by thirds), however there is one note that clouds its identity as a diatonically functioning chord, and that's the B natural, the 5th of E7. Because C is the route of your chord, for it to sound nice you need to treat it like a C7 chord, using notes from E7 to spice it up. As mentioned above, the only issue is the B natural, and to make the chord function as a nice dominant, just flatten it. Your new chord would be E7(b5)/C, or otherwise known as a C9(#5).

-The next chord would work fine for an unresolved effect, however personally I'd keep the F in the bass and make it a minor 9, just a suggestion.

- I don't really understand the context of this chord (f#dim) unless you are modulating to Gm, which you don't in the next chord. Maybe think this over a little bit more? Diminished chords have a very special place and mostly function as a hollow type dominant as a substitute for chord V, e.g. you're F# diminished would work nicely as a substitute for D7 in G minor, so long as it wasn't an final cadence. You can't really dot them around anywhere in diatonic harmony...

- Unless you are purposely trying to create something that sounds horrific (horror movie composers use this bad boy all the time), then this chord has pretty much no function, because the parent chord and the root note are a tritone apart. Minor chords don't have a tritone relationship like dominant 7th chords do!

Your initial chord sequence is ok, however it doesn't really serve itself to substitutions as it kind of ignores pythagoras's pendulum model. I'd suggest changing the order around so that the G is at the end of the sequence.

As for effective substitutions in western harmony, I'll be posting an article of mine on them in the next few days, referring to all the most commonly used substitutions (including tritone and tertiary) plus some harmony basics, so I'll link you here. Also feel free to inbox me

So for a I - V - vim - IV chord progression what would you play?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:25pm

In most modern (post 40s) jazz, a fully diminished chord is like a substitute for a dominant 7th and would probably be spelled out like a 7th with a flat 9, but just a plain fully diminished seventh chord without any extra tones is going to sound dated.

Fully diminished chords aren't usually used in modern jazz (since about the early 40s) they sound pretty square compared to the other more complex chords you are using there.
Like jazz pianist said, they were great for in house organ players when accompanying old horror movies Shocked
Try looking into half-diminished chords ie f# a c e etc, which will supply a much more modern sound that would jive better with your modern extended chords.

OK cool!
As the saying goes "You gotta learn something every day."
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

As it's a band situation and I'm more of a hired gun not the band leader, I'm not in a position to make changes to the progression. It's what I've got to work with. Blame it on U2 "With or Without You". That's why I really want to toy around with it.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:46pm

LOL Don't have the jazz maturity for that yet.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 1:13pm
If you're just trying to dress up some U2 changes, try that first variation I dropped off, it will put the song into modern pop-jazz territory similar to EW&F and Steely Dan. You'll still be able to hear the initial progression too, just more modern and 'jazzy'.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 1:18pm
Here's another Steely Dan type variation on your original:

Bb Maj/C         FMaj/G         em7/A     am7/F
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:25pm
Thanks so far!
What are some other suggestions if I wanted to go for the jugular in an avant garde or bop way?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:39pm
This one is dissonant, but still in your original functional harmony:

C in the bass with E Bb Eb voiced in the right hand
G in the bass, slide that right hand up a half step to F B E
A in the bass with G C# F# in the right hand
F in the bass, slide the previous notes up a half step to G# D G

You have to voice it the above way to sound cool, but what you have is: C7 #9     G13    A13    Fm13

Edited by js - 28 Jul 2011 at 11:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic