FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:14am
(continuing)

"Minha namorada", by Carlos Lyra & Vinicius de Moraes. Below, covered by Maria Creuza and Toquinho.

"Manhã de carnaval", by Antonio Maria & Luiz Bonfá, as interpreted by superb diva Elizeth Cardoso.

"A felicidade", by Tom Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes, sung by Astrud Gilberto.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:00am
For the Sunday, some samba & bossa nova standards.

"Samba em prelúdio", composed by Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes; the original recording by Geraldo Vandré & Ana Lúcia was featured in 1962.
Below, the 1970 recording by Toquinho, Maria Creuza & Vinicius de Moraes.

"Eu sei que vou te amar", composed by Tom Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes, as covered by Emílio Santiago & audience.

"Insensatez", composed by Tom Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes, as revisited by Tom Jobim & family & friends.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 8:46pm
Erlon Chaves (1933-1974) was a maestro who also mixed jazz and samba however with a discernible funk beat.

He also sang this one.

Chaves signature is unmistakable and addictive.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 8:11pm
Nonato Buzar, a name in the samba-pop and samba-swing genres also experimented in the samba-jazz realm.

Here Elis Regina sings one of his jazzy songs.

Buzar also added some jazz, funk and samba spices to movie soundtracks.

Buzar also did bossa nova, here specifically for an early 1970s Brazilian soap-opera (and gave his voice too).

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Thank you, Guigo. A samba lock and the samba pop of the 70s in particular are interesting for me. A lot of artists whom I do not yet know seem to exist. By the way, is the music of Wilson Simonal his original? I always like this music.

I think so, Kazuhiro-san. The song 'Sá Marina" was composed by Antonio Adolfo & Tiberio Gaspar and originally recorded by Wilson Simonal, in 1967.

Smile
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:52pm
Thank you, Guigo. A samba lock and the samba pop of the 70s in particular are interesting for me. A lot of artists whom I do not yet know seem to exist. By the way, is the music of Wilson Simonal his original? I always like this music.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:39pm
Samba-pop was a subgenre very popular in the 70s.

Benito di Paula was then the main star in this sub-genre:

Another name was Agepê (1942-1995), considered a precursor of modern pagode.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:34pm
In the 60s and 70s we had samba-rock (Jorge Benjor & clones), samba-soul (Tim Maia & clones), samba-dance (disco-like style) and also other variations like sambalanço (samba-swing), where Wilson Simonal (1938-2000) was the dominating presence:

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 9:26am
João Nogueira (1941-2000) was a great in the samba kingdom. A pure 'sambist' indeed.

Diogo Nogueira, is trailing the path of his father João Nogueira.

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:50pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 9:19am
Saturday is the day I like to bring some new faces here:

Arlindo Cruz, is not young but only recently he hit the charts and if we consider the view counting on YouTube he really came to stay.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 10:08pm

Thank you, Guigo. I always like this song. The melody always gives eases.

It is the feeling that the version of Diana Krall is good for. And I heard a version of Wanda De Sah personally.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:27pm
Right, Kazuhiro, "So nice" is the English/American version of "Samba de verão" (Summer samba). 

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 8:07pm
Thank you. I enjoyed a video of Marcos Valle which Guigo put. And I noticed that a song of Marcos Valle was the same as "So Nice" of Sergio Mendes.
I always love Marcos Valle. I suppose that probably he went pure bossa nova about an early work. However, he always performed modern music. I think that "Previsao do tempo" announced in 1973 in particular is a predominantly splendid album.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:31pm
The Godoy brothers - a reference when the word 'piano' appears.

1. Here, Amilton Godoy with his Zimbo Trio (almost 50 years of quality):

2. Now, Amilson Godoy with his a bit more classical approach:

3. And finally, Adylson Godoy:

Edited by Atkingani - 19 Oct 2011 at 4:17pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:18pm
 ...and Valle too. 
Lately I have been spending time trying to catch up on current jazz artists with new CDs out, there's a lot out there.
Who knew so many people play jazz. ?  Ermm

Edited by js - 19 Oct 2011 at 2:18pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Is Edu Lobo the singer guitarist? Sounds like jazz to me, it also sounds very close to Bossa Nova.

Indeed, John... Smile

Edu Lobo (and also Marcos Valle) started their careers in the bossa nova trend.

EDIT: I checked now and Edu Lobo is here! Thumbs Up

Edited by Atkingani - 19 Oct 2011 at 2:14pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:12pm
Apparently we already have Lobo here under Bossa Nova.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:09pm
Is Edu Lobo the singer guitarist? Sounds like jazz to me, it also sounds very close to Bossa Nova.

Edited by js - 19 Oct 2011 at 2:09pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:06pm
Brothers Marcos Valle and Paulo Sergio Valle composed this gem which was Elis Regina first hit, back in 1964.

Also brothers Valle composed this clear bossa-nova standard:

Edited by Atkingani - 19 Oct 2011 at 2:10pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 11:23am
Edu Lobo, another genius of the modern Brazilian music.

Now, a jointing effort of Edu Lobo with the omnipresent Chico Buarque, this time with Milton Nascimento's angelical voice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
  Share Topic