JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone help me find some jazz like this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone help me find some jazz like this?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 4:36am
Hello there, I'm completely new to jazz, there seems to be lots of different types and it''s hard to find the sort I love the sound of, or a place to start. I know there is a jazz type sound out there I love because I've heard it occasionallyCool. I can never come across the actual song again but (maybe unexpectedly) while playing Gran Turismo 5 I have come across some likewise awesome and relaxing sounds.

Can anyone help me find some artists/album similar to?: "Reminiscence" by  Norihito Sumito 
(recorded in mono, so not great quality)

The other songs by Norihito Sumitomo are fantastic too "Tracks of Dream" as another example:

Maybe its even moving on a bossa nova style?

The combinations of the guitar, piano, and underlying bass in these sort of melodies I find fantastic as well as relaxing.
btw if you wanted me to define further I love the lack of vocal and a modern (or high quality) recording.

I can't seem to find anything from him in this style other than whats in the gt5 soundtrack (being not Japanese make it hard to find his stuff too, language wiseUnhappy ) and I believe he is possibly mainly a soundtrack/theme artist.

Any thoughts would be greatly greatly appreciated, thanks! 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 5:35am
A lot of George Shearing sounds like this with the guitar/piano combination and that relaxed sound.
Bill Evans and Teddy Wilson have piano styles somewhat similar to this, also, Jim Hall and Joe Pass' guitar playing fits this too. 
If you want the guitar/piano combination just look for albums that might have Bill Evans on piano and someone else on guitar, you might be able to find some albums where Evans plays with Joe Pass or Jim Hall, I'm not sure.
I don't know if Teddy Wilson ever recorded with a guitar player.
Try George Shearing first though, he is very similar to this.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 6:11am
Overall, I think Cool Jazz and Swing are probably the best genres for you to check out.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 8:16am
I agree that Jim Hall and Bill Evans together are a possibility. The album 'Undercurrent' might work. Or their other duet. But I don't actually own it, however, I seem to remember it from a friends' collection, and it might be a fit
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:44pm

Norihito Sumitomo makes the music for most television and movie. Because he doesn't have a lot of leader albums, looking for similar music might be good.

I also think that Bill Evans and Jim Hall are appropriate.

Rhys View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 1:38am
Thanks everyone! Indeed that Bill Evans and Jim Hall combo is really close!
I can use all these suggestions as an entrance to exploring jazzHandshake

Thanks again!Big smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:01am
Don't forget to try out George Shearing too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 3:44pm
Even though there are horns Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue" or Sonny Rollins, just a quartet, tenor sax, guitar (Jim Hall) and bass (Bob Cranshaw) and drums.  "The Bridge" 
My suggestion if you are thinking where is the tune,esp. Bop of any variety,  is concentarte on the bass, that is the timing predominately and the rest will come together like cream and icing on a cake

Before you know it, Art Blakey will sound absolutely superb

Edited by Matt - 24 Jul 2011 at 3:48pm
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic