JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tony Williams Lifetime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Williams Lifetime
    Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 4:27am
I see Esoteric has issued yet more remastered variants of TWL's first two albums Emergency! and Turn It Over. The former recording has been notorius for poor audio quality since the day the original LP was released, so has the remastering improved this?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 6:56am
I haven't heard it, but I agree, the music is good but the sound quality low on the recordings I have.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 7:56am
Been wondering about this myself...

I suppose there is only so much one can do if the original master tapes are poor.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:00am
I don't where the art of remastering  and also getting rid of some of the audio horrors on the original master, has got to. In the late 80's Australian Broadcasting CO's Robert Armstrong did some remarkable clean up jobs on 20's and 30's recordings - for instance listen to his remaster of  Bix Beiderbeck and there is depth and clarity separation of band pieces, which in comparison other CD and LP versions of the same music, sound at best muddy. Sony Columbia's Roots'n'Blues reissues through the 90's, had been usually subjected to the CEDAR clean up method, and sounded pretty good , although I swear one form of noise left could be the sound of a styllus cutting the original wax master? For a reference point, check out the Roots'n'Blues Rauchy Business album with blues songs of the 30's containing some X rated lyrics. Perhaps understandably the one tune riddled with  f-words had been left unremastered/uncleaned up, and so can be compared with the lyrically censored version of the same tune: aurally there is the world of difference.

Edited by Dick Heath - 22 Jul 2011 at 11:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic