JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Choro or Chorinho (sub-genre)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choro or Chorinho (sub-genre)
    Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 4:23pm
I wonder if Choro (also known as Chorinho) should be added as a sub-genre here.

The origins are the same:
Choro (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈʃoɾu], "cry" or "lament"), traditionally called chorinho ("little cry" or "little lament"), is a Brazilian popular music instrumental style. Its origins are in 19th century Rio de Janeiro. In spite of the name, the style often has a fast and happy rhythm, characterized by virtuosity, improvisation, subtile modulations and full of syncopation and counterpoint. Choro is considered the first urban popular music typical of Brazil.

Check the samples there, please. Smile

This classic Choro shows clearly the link between Jazz and Choro.

Edited by Atkingani - 16 Jul 2011 at 4:23pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:05pm
I'll definitely check it out Guigo, thanks.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'll definitely check it out Guigo, thanks.

I forgot to mention that the same people, of African descent, that created Jazz in the USA also created Choro in Brazil.

These 2 genres are definitely connected. Wink
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 1:01pm
That's great music, and I agree that we need more Choro bands on the site. You can really hear the similarities to Original New Orleans Jazz with the polyphonic improvisations. I'm sure this has already been researched and documented, but it would be interesting to look at traditional African music and trace where the idea of polyphonic improv comes from.

Right now we have 3 Latin Jazz genres:
Afro-Cuban
Bossa Nova
Latin Jazz - a grab bag for artists who don't fit Bossa or Afro-Cuban
Also, some Latin Jazz albums might end up in Classic Fusion, World Fusion and others as well.

Afro-Cuban and Bossa have their own genre because of their huge popularity on the international jazz scene. In fact, there have been times when either of those two genres were a dominant force in the world of jazz, and they continue to be popular to this day.

Other forms of Latin jazz end up in our Latin Jazz genre, which does create an incongruous grab bag at times, but without adding more and more genres, its really the best solution for now.
I would suggest recommending Choro bands for us to add to Latin Jazz. Its best if the band suggestion includes a sound sample and country of origin too.

Matt and I have discussed guidelines on all Latin Jazz genres, and we really like to see that jazz like soloing and improvisations in all of our Latin Jazz additions.

Thanks for the suggestion, to that I would add that we like your reviews muchos (I know Brazilians speak Portugese, not Spanish, but I happen to know you are multi-lingual Wink)
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:23pm
Thanks, John. Smile

It's OK, at least we know that a genre/style with so great similiarities with Jazz may have a niche here. I'll try to find historical and important artists related to Choro for suggesting to JMA (Latin Jazz). Approve

In the meantime, enjoy this recreation of a moment back in early XXth Century when choro/samba were still marginal and check if it's not close to what happened to jazz then.

Edited by Atkingani - 17 Jul 2011 at 2:24pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 11:47pm
That was really nice, when the handclaps came in it was in classic African 3 beats against 4 for the others.
There is a strong European element in the music also, but not Anglo or German, is it Portugese? It sounds kind of similar to a lot of East European music.
When I lived in San Francisco, you could hear music like this on the radio sometimes. I have a bunch of old cassettes filled with music that I recorded off of world music radio programs.
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 2:42pm
There is so much great music in south america that I keep discovering on this site! blowing my mind for sure!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 4:42pm
@ John: Yes, the European influence is mainly Portuguese (and they got plenty influences from Arabs, Moors, Turks, Jews). What a mix, no? Wink

@ Freddie: Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic