JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:09pm
Jazz-rock/zeuhl band from France.

Part of their discography is available for free streaming here: http://grooveshark.com/#/artist/Magma/152326

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:29pm
This is probably the third time they have been suggested. Right now we are holding off on big name rock acts and concentrating on the thousands of jazz artists we need to add.

Not a bad suggestion at all, and they will probably be added someday down the line, but they are on hold for now.
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:37pm
Oh, weird. I did a search before posting this thread and there were no results at all.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

Oh, weird. I did a search before posting this thread and there were no results at all.

Not your fault. I suggested them once, but the title of the thread didn't have 'Magma' on it. Wink
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm
Hey Pablo. Looks like you left PA for JMA for good LOL

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

Hey Pablo. Looks like you left PA for JMA for good LOL

Yes, you're right. I was exhausted of PA, but in a good way, I think I managed to take all the juice of it, I had to move on hehe. I miss a couple of guys from there though, but I really have no interest yet in going back, unless for some casual chat.

Mind you, I still love Prog, but not anymore totally into it and I have no desire in keep discussing same ol' things, hence why my last months in there were mainly jazz/fusion/other focused.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:51pm
I realize you've been missing on the forums. Whatever, PA has tons of members anyway, this is the new PA!!! LOL Actually this place reminds me of when I used to be a lurker at PA in 2005, not a whole lot of chat, but enough; and no trolls/annoying people/snobbery/etc... from what I remember.

Pablo, you're like me in 2007 and most of 2008; when I was bored with prog rock, and was only listening to jazz, funk, fusion, world music, etc... I completely stopped going on PA and if I wanted to look stuff up for jazz I used wiki or AAJ. I remember slowly coming back when Miles Davis got added to PA.

and now....Back to topic
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:36pm
Hi,

Magma is a tough addition to either rock, or jazz. I think that it has more in common with a jazz process than it does rock idioms. Their musical themes do not tend to be in a sonata-like forms like most of rock music is and way too much progressive music ALSO is. In this sense, Magma would fit better in a jazz area, than it would a "progressive" music area.

Magma probably should be listed as jazz, in a fusion type of way, because that is what it is ... even if the vocals throw too many people off, which is something that most "jazz" afficcionados usually object to ... and Magma's use of the vocals are as an "instrument", and not as a normal vocal following the melodies in music, and that in itself is a very jazz-like concept and idea ... that was quite well developed in the 20th century in classical music!

In many ways, Magma is what Carl Orff would sound like without an orchestra, and have electric instruments instead, and this is the supposition that we have a hard time envisioning. But if you ever talk to Christian by himself or with Stella, they are very private and he will tell you stories and books and things he has read and used to read that inspired him to create what he did ... but then, how do you explain him having so many cuts devoted to Coltrane? ... he said he does the same thing with the vocals and the bass ... but we aren't capable of getting off the piano. His drumming? ... he says that it barely supports what he does ... he thinks that his role is to make sure that the musicians do not lose their spot in the "script".

It's a very nice evolution and visionary way to look at music ... and in many ways saying it is jazz, is not quite right, saying that it is rock is worse, and saying that it is progressive, is downright wrong. Again, it has more similarities with classical music and jazz than it does anything else.

... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic