JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post 70's Jazz Rock Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post 70's Jazz Rock Fusion
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:28pm
Somebody had to do it.

While always digging back into some classics of the 60s and 70's (as well as searching for those I missed),  I'm always looking out for fresh/modern takes on this form of jazz.. The 80's seems to be the time when Holdsworth and (I know people will argue), Pat Metheny really came to the fore whilst too many other older jazz rock musicians seem to be returning to the fold of straight jazz beit amplified but not particularly rocking - and lord help us, new age subsumed some artists (hey even Ian Carr) - John Themis being the epitomy of a guitarist who might have been a great jazz rocker a decade before....however.......... (but a young Gary Husband debuted on one of his albums). But then acid jazz and dance jazz appeared, some of which you can forgive some of the time, e.g. Level 42, Morrissey Mullens Band, Defunkt. To me jazz rock came out of the 80's dulldrums (pun!!) with  an explosion of Hammond organ albums, Wayne Krantz  etc. etc.

I was asked to nominate some outstanding albums of the 90's by the author on an article on the top ten jazz rock albums, that appeared in Mojo's shortlived spin-off magazine Mojo Collectibles - because he didn't want a list limited to 60's and 70's act.  My suggestion of Conrad Schrank Extrapolation's Save The Robots and  Hellborg/Buckethead/Shrieve's Octave Of The Holy Innocents lost out to a Tribal Tech and Scott Henderson solo album.

However, that long preamble, I throw out the challenge for you to dominate your top three jazz rock albums of the 80's, 90's and 00's decades - so the stick in the muds might be weaned away from the 70's.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm
Just some off the top of my head (I know I'm going to forget many)

Pat Metheny Group
John Scofield
Mike Stern
Hiromi
Jonas Hellborg
Garaj Mahal
Allan Holdsworth
Soulive
Joshua Redman Elastic Band
Michael Brecker
Lettuce
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:25pm
Christian McBride
Chick Corea Elektric Band
Charlie Hunter
Dave Weckl Band
Dennis Chambers Band
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Victor Wooten (solo)
Five Peace Band
The Free Spirits
Frogg Cafe
Galactic
Garage a Trois
Gary Willis
Tribal Tech
Scott Henderson
The Greyboy Allstars
Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate
The 4th Dimension
Love: Triptych
Medeski Martin & Wood
Michael Shrieve
Niacin
OHMphrey
Richard Bona
Steve Jenkins
John Zorn
Jaga Jazzist
Squarepusher
Vital Tech Tones

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:51pm
George Brooks  Thumbs Up
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:06am
as one can suspect, I'm not big on post-70's JR/F, mostly because of the 80's sound and production techniques, but also these Synclavier things... also the ECM-phenomenon seem to his everyone in the business from the early 80's onwards

Stuff like The Yellowjackets or Vital Informatuion never hit the spot the way 70's stuff did.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:56am
I'm impressed with the high quality of young jazz rock/fusionist coming out of Austria in the last decade. Alex Machacek being the obvious candidate - since moving to California he has become much better known. His 1999 debut album, Featuring Ourselves and  calling his band McHacek (different spelling, same pronounceation) was a relvation, although a number of us suggested it sounded jazzy Zappa's Mothers of the early 80's meets Allan Holdsworth. I think being accused of being a Holdsworthian player, meant Alex has avoid that style since - however, the Zappa-elements were reinforced by the subsequent tours and album releases with Terry Bozzio.

A far more difficult to find is the tpreviously mentioned Conrad Schrenk - more into the shred metal style, he and his band Extravaganza released the Save The Robots album in 1996 - and quite a number of us who have managed to find a copy (Abstract Logix may have some at the moment) , have nominated this as the jazz rock album of the 90's - I've described it musically (but badly) as Steve Vai with jazz chords meets brass rock.
CONRAD SCHRENK EXTRAVAGANZA - SAVE THE ROBOTS

Finally, Gerald Gradwohl must be checked out . Found on a couple of 'solo' albums, and then on more albums hidden beneath a band name, e.g Threeo. The great tenor saxophonist, Bob Berg, )IMHO on par with Michael Brecker), did his last recordings with Gradwohl.

Finally and change the subject somewhat. Wwhat did folks make of Wayne Krantz's first studio album in a decade and his first for Abstract Logix, Krantz, Carlock Lefevbre? Personally I thought it was the best jazz rock album of 2009 and there were a few  other in contention. I would go a little further, I loved the vocals on those pop song openings, which provided the basis for Krantz and co's particular style of melodic improv. for the rest of a number of pieces.

Krantz Carlock Lefebvre

Edited by Dick Heath - 14 Jul 2011 at 4:57am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:10am
After dabbling his toes in the mighty jazz sea with Harbor Lights and Hot House (i.e. albums that reached this side of the Atlantic and got a tad of publicity to provide us with awareness, perhaps because of the guest appearances of Metheny, Shorter and whoops, Phil Collins) , Bruce Hornsby dived in with Camping Meeting in 2007:

Camp Meeting
(look at the rhythm section).

This is Bruce Hornsby (sans vocals) one moment sounding as familiar and laid back as ever in what I call country rock-jazz style, and then being pushed by the company he's keeping into some real jazz piano. DeJohnette and McBride sound like they are having fun - the former indulging in some percussion effects we may have expect from EST's drummer. What surprised me was the lack of fanfares - I think I spotted only one bit of publicity on an American jazz fusion site and then was surprised to find Amazon Uk importing it in pretty cheaply; but nothing else surfaced over here.  This was one of my favs for 2008 - the year when I first heard it. I'm left asking for more. Check this out.

Edited by Dick Heath - 18 Oct 2011 at 9:09am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

as one can suspect, I'm not big on post-70's JR/F, mostly because of the 80's sound and production techniques, but also these Synclavier things... also the ECM-phenomenon seem to his everyone in the business from the early 80's onwards

Stuff like The Yellowjackets or Vital Informatuion never hit the spot the way 70's stuff did.

Try starting with 2000's and 2010's JRF albums and work backwards. I think fusion albums since the late 90s/early 2000s are on par with the 70s stuff.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:20pm
Good fusion is back, which reminds me: Iron Kim Style
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:03am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Try starting with 2000's and 2010's JRF albums and work backwards. I think fusion albums since the late 90s/early 2000s are on par with the 70s stuff.

sounds like a superb news for this fusedhead!!ShockedClap

I'll take a few suggestions, please.Big smile
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:09am
Most of the international big names were mentioned already, so I'll nominate some contemporary French fusion: One Shot, Morglbl and Guillaume Perret (all active this last decade).

Also this, from Romania:

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:32pm

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:53am
Metheny Group, Pat    Offramp 1982  - Pat's Group albums seemed to stagnate shortly after this one.
Torn, David    Cloud About Mercury 1986  - Torn/Levin/Bruford/Isham, say no more.
Rypdal, Terje    Singles Collection, The 1988 - not a compilation album, a joke title.  One of Rypdal's most rocky jazz JRF albums.

Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo    1991 - and now for something completely different, JFR outside the box.
Muffins, The    Open City    1994 - more JFR outside the box.
Clarke DiMeola Ponty    Rite of Strings, The 1995 all acoustic, still rocks.

Bruford Levin Upper Extremities    Blue Nights    2000 - Torn/Levin/Bruford et al, say no more.
Medeski Martin and Wood    End of the World Party (just in case)    2004 - had to put one MMW in there.  This is my favorite of the two I have.
Jonas Hellborg    Art Metal    2007 - jazz fusion with rock of a more metallic nature.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 16 Jul 2011 at 10:14am
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:43am
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoviet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 1:17pm
80s:
Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Wichita Falls So Falls Wichita Falls
Yellowjackets - Four Corners
Spyro Gyra - Access All Areas

90s:
Tortoise - TNT
Supersilent - 4
Phantom City - Site Anubis

2000s
David Torn - Prezens
Wibutee - Eight Domestic Challenges
Supersilent - 6
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoviet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 1:20pm
gehehehe more 90s goodness pls:

Isotope 217 - Utonian Automatic
Isotope 217 - The Unstable Molecule
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
Vertú
Stanley Clarke - Bass
Lenny White - Drums
Karen Briggs - Violin
Richie Kotzen - Guitar
Rachel Z - Keyboards

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:15am
Heavy Hammond (or Hammond-like) Lead Jazz Rock Fusion,

The You Tube above, of the Johansson bros & Jonas Hellborg from their e album (of '92?), reminded me of a number of heavy Hammond fusion bands that have followed: for instance Niacin, Otis Grove, Elephant9............
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:17am
Here's a new album of music  to categorise: the eponymous one released very recently by Levin, Torn & White? Jazz fusion or avant heavy rock or what?

Edited by Dick Heath - 18 Oct 2011 at 9:18am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:19am
I was interested in adding that album, but the cut I heard was just heavy rock. If you have some samples from the album to post I'll check them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic