JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jonas Hellborg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jonas Hellborg
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:39pm
Ive been listening to this man's music a lot in the past week. Partially because I found his 2007 album "Art Metal" in my room, which I thought was lost forever. This album is exactly what it sounds like. Think Planet X, but with much more bass presence (MUCH more), more technicality, but also some nice grooves and some tribal Indian tabla beats in some areas.

My first album of his was "e", which is a fun jazz-rock album, and great to listen to in the summer time. "Time Is the Enemy" is a great live album, featuring some hard funk, and nice solos from Hellborg and the late-master guitarist Shawn Lane.

Any other fans of this man's music?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:45pm
Metal is not normally my sort of sound, but I heard some new Hellborg on Pandora that was some sort of metal hybrid that was really good, fascinating music, very modern.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:47pm
I also love Art Metal. Brilliant album, one of the best modern fusion albums.

I am not a fan of extended bluesy guitar shredding, so I don't like Time Is The Enemy much.

The Octave album with Buckethead is also fantastic; sounds like... acoustic metal fusion?

Edited by harmonium.ro - 15 Jul 2011 at 6:22am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:49pm
Most of his music (that Ive heard) is not metal-oriented. If anything, it's like Jaco on crack LOL

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I also love Art Metal. Brilliant album, one of the best modern fusion albums.

I am not a fan of extended bluesy guitar shredding, so I don't like Time Is The Enemy much.

The Octane album with Buckethead is also fantastic; sounds like... acoustic metal fusion?

I think there's only blues shredding on that one track (forgot which one)

I forgot about the Buckethead album. I have that one too, and it's some nice music. Buckethead is quite the diverse player.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:51pm
Another awesome album is the Michael Shrieve album "Two Doors", featuring a prominent Hellborg on bass. This album is like Indo-jazz-rock, with a little funk if I remember correctly,
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 1:26pm
My favorite bass player, in particular of the acoustic bass guitar, by a mile and maker of two of the three best jazz rock albums of the 90's IMHO, e and Octave of The Holy Innocents. However, it difficult to go wrong with much of the DEM Records and Bardo issues.

Nice sequel to Art Metal I believe is tucked away on Freak Kitchen's album Land Of The Freaks in the form of Teargas Jazz, (more indo-metal) which related the tale of Swedish Musicians (probably Hellborg and co) touring India when the Mohammed cartoons  were causing certain tensions  - the line "Yes , We're Not Danes" indicates the problem some Scandanavian folks were having being in parts of the Moslem parts of the world.

Nice story about Hellborg "rescuing" the Johnasson brothers from Yngwie Malsmsteen's band in the late 80's. Indeed some of the most interesting music to come from Jens and Anders (sons of the legendary Swedish jazz pianist Jan), was in collaboration with Hellborg - also check out a few of the recordings on the Johansson's Heptagon label for guest appearances by Hellborg (e.g. Ander's Red Shift album).

Edited by Dick Heath - 13 Jul 2011 at 1:29pm
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I didn't say it was blues, but that it was "bluesy". I have a very sensible nose for flavours that I hate and I can spot even the thinnest scent of them. LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:57pm

I didn't say it was blues, but that it was "bluesy". I have a very sensible nose for flavours that I hate and I can spot even the thinnest scent of them. LOL

I still say it was only on one track Tongue
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:13pm

Ive been listening to this man's music a lot in the past week. Partially because I found his 2007 album "Art Metal" in my room, which I thought was lost forever. This album is exactly what it sounds like. Think Planet X, but with much more bass presence (MUCH more), more technicality, but also some nice grooves and some tribal Indian tabla beats in some areas.

My first album of his was "e", which is a fun jazz-rock album, and great to listen to in the summer time. "Time Is the Enemy" is a great live album, featuring some hard funk, and nice solos from Hellborg and the late-master guitarist Shawn Lane.

Art Metal?  (insert screaming like a little girl here) LOL  Man that one came out in '07?  How did 11 get here so damn fast?
Shout out for Octave Of The Holy Innocents.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 13 Jul 2011 at 7:17pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:25pm

I think that "e" is Hard Fusion that was able to be improved. A technical part is wonderful.

And, I thought that I had done live of improvisation that trio of Lane-Sipe-Hellborg is interesting.

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:11pm
Art Metal is a fantastic album. One of the few albums in my collection that has moments that really makes my jaw drop when listening. Tried Octave Of The Holy...and it was no where near as successful IMO. Not bad, just not great. Haven't listened to it in awhile though...maybe I'll spin it tonight.

Perhaps I'll try to track down e. Either way, great bassist.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 1:09am
wasn't thrilled with Time is the Enemy, but Personae is one of my faves
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:24am
I suppose everybody realises Octave Of Holy Innocents is available in two mixes. The remastered Bardo Records reissue of 2005 has wordless vocals.

Octave of the Holy Innocents

The original DEM (Day Eight Music Records) version of 1995 has no vocals - and for this along with  a crispiness and a relatively uncluttered mix although played at 200 mph, this version gets all my 5 stars.

Octave of Holy Innocents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:31am
There are some wonderful recordings made in the 80's of John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar) and Jonas Hellborg (electric bass - some times double necked) at various gigs in Europe, but alas only  found as bootlegs. As the quality of a couple of these recordings sound excellent, as is their playing, I have to ask can't McLaughlin or Hellborg legitismise one of there recordings in the form of an authorised CD issue? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:11am
Just been reminded that Fusenet discussion group flagged up two new Hellborg releases a couple of months aago - going to Hellborg'ssite, indeed two are listed for April or May  2011 release Bass Solo 1990 and Drum'n'Bass - however, not seen these listed anywhere else. Anybody enlighten; are these reissues?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Art Metal?  (insert screaming like a little girl here) LOL  Man that one came out in '07?  How did 11 get here so damn fast?
Shout out for Octave Of The Holy Innocents.

I believe you were the one to highly recommend Art Metal to me over at PA, sometime in 2008 or 2009... I was looking for some modern fusion and that album kept coming up in the thread I started.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Just been reminded that Fusenet discussion group flagged up two new Hellborg releases a couple of months aago - going to Hellborg'ssite, indeed two are listed for April or May  2011 release Bass Solo 1990 and Drum'n'Bass - however, not seen these listed anywhere else. Anybody enlighten; are these reissues?

Yet another fishing expedition today, rendered no news on the two Hellborg albums reportedly issued some months ago. However, Amazon.UK listing Hellborg contribution to a couple of tracks on a Phillip Wilson album Steel & Breath for £7-75 - the odd sample available indicates it is perhaps a Lester Bowie recording in reality?
wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 1:56pm
I was probably the one who asked about the new Hellborg releases...I think I hit every fusion site I was on with the question--to date, no news.

Big Hellborg fan, have been since the much-maligned Mahavishnu album was released.  I have a signed first pressing of Elegant Punk on vinyl somewhere.  Saw him with JM four times--twice with the band, and twice doing the duet thing.  Love his stuff with Shawn Lane, and the Indian-influenced stuff is awesome, in my book.  Kali's Son is a great record.  Art Metal is cool, it's got a very interesting sound, production-wise--very dry, and almost cold, but not in a bad way.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:01pm
I listened to an album last night that I completely forgot I had.

"Two Doors" by Michael Shrieve (drummer from the first 6 or 7 Santana albums)

Features Jonas Hellborg on bass and Shawn Lane on guitar. Some mighty fine fusion one that one, with a lot of Indian music sprinkled throughout. I loved it, and was a great late-night album to listen to.

Edited by darkshade - 31 May 2012 at 8:01pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Good suggestion, looks like we need to get Michael Shrieve added to the site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic