JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bar Kokhba Sextet for Avant-Jazz/Post Bop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bar Kokhba Sextet for Avant-Jazz/Post Bop
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 11:46am
The Bar Kokhba Sextet is another of John Zorn's groups playing material from the Masada songbook.

Consisting of Marc Ribot on guitar, Greg Cohen on double bass, Cyro Baptista handling percussion, Joey Baron on the drumset,  Mark Feldman on violin and Erik Friedlander on cello, they have released two albums: the triple-disc live recording released in 2003 called 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 11 and the studio album Lucifer: Book of Angels Volume 10.

I'll gladly provide a bio and info for both albums if needed.

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:29pm
Bump.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:48pm
Didn't you just post this today?  They have been approved, but you really don't need to remind us of the same band in one day  Wink
I check this thread five or six times a day, most bands are approved within two days, garunteed or your money back Thumbs Up
Sometimes it takes Phil a few days to import them after that.
They will be added to World Fusion, by the way.

P.S. looks like they just missed Phil's import today, so their actual addition will probably take place in about a week.

Edited by js - 13 Jul 2011 at 4:10pm
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:35pm
It would have been nice if you warned me of this band's approval. I posted the bump because 2 other band addition threads got a response 1 hour after I made this thread.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:44pm
Some bands are easier to fix a genre to than others. With some bands who have very eclectic discographies, we might take the time to go through their whole discog and genre label each album before the artist is added. In the case of this band, a discussion of their genre led to a delay due to reviewing some other Zorn albums in the light of this one.

Its pretty rare that our research on an artists is limited to just the sample people provide. Quite often I will check up to 3 or 4 other websites just to get to know a band better before adding them. 
That's why some bands might get approved faster than others,
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:59pm
Oh, my problem wasn't regarding a delay in the band's addition, but just the lack of a heads up when the band got added and the fact that you dissed me when I asked for the update.

Thanks for adding them.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:05pm
I dissed you?
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I dissed you?

Well, 'dissed' is a strong word. You reprehended me for bumping the thread.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:29pm
OK, in Memphis getting dissed means somebody tells you f off while possible pointing a gun at you.

Anyway, no big deal, thanks for the band suggestion.
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm
I've written a bio for the band.

"The Bar Kokhba Sextet is an American klezmer/avant-garde jazz group, first appearing on disc 2 of John Zorn's The Circle Maker album in 1998. 

Consisting of John Zorn as conductor, Marc Ribot on guitar, Cyro Baptista on percussion, Joey Baron on drums, Erik Friedlander on cello, Mark Feldman on violin and Greg Cohen on double bass, the group was arranged by Zorn for playing compositions from his "klezmer-revival" musical project, Masada.

They have recorded two albums: the live 50th Birthday Celebration Vol. 11 and the studio recording Lucifer: Book of Angels Vol. 10.

Biography written by Polo"

Also, the current picture has a quite low resolution, so I've found a better quality replacement:

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:33pm
Picture changed,thanks
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:40pm
RE. bio - I will correct genre tag and will add it as well. Possibly the roots of Bor Kokhba Sextet are in John Zorn's album "Bar Kokhba" ,which is based on Masada material as well. Musicians are generally the same (plus few more collaborators), but it was still released as John Zorn album (some sources put it under Bar Kokhba though)
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:57pm
Thanks.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:05pm
AddedWink

It's time for reviewing now? Wink

Edited by snobb - 15 Jul 2011 at 1:06pm
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:12pm
I may review the 50th Birthday album this week unless lazyness dominates me.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic