JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Zorn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Zorn
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:07am
Let's appreciate this incredible composer. We'll discuss for every part of his career. As a supporter of the destruction of the world I like Leng Tch'e (Naked city) so much. But I like many of his albums. Like Magick, Mysterium, O'o, Gimel (Electric masada), Naked city (the first homonymous album) etc.    
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:24am
I like too the ones you mentioned,( I'd add to the list The Goddess, In Search Of Miraculuos), these are among his most accessible ones, but the more interesting are the inaccessible ones
So maybe we should talk about the ones we dislike
I don't like his AG work(jazz or contemporary), I like his klezmer work  but only in small portions
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:48am
I don't dislike something. But since June until now I have started to explore him more.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:34pm
I have the original Naked City (the debut I guess??)

It's a fun album. I like listening to it once in a while, though somewhere in the middle of the album, it gets too hardcore for my tastes, and I skip a couple of tracks; unless I'm with friends and we get a bit of a laugh out of it. I used to regret purchasing it, but now I'm glad I have it.

The only other John Zorn related album I have is the Electric Masada: 50th Birthday album. This album is absolutely awesome. Honestly I think Ive only listened to it twice, but I remember it being some really cool avant-jazz-fusion. Not the most out there album, kinda tame compared to some stuff Ive heard. I don't have any context for it though, as I don't have any other Masada recordings, or any other Zorn albums in general, but this is a great addition to my fusion collection. I may actually throw this one on today!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm
I own around 50 Zorn/Zorn-related albums, and can agree Electric Masada is one between his best Big smile.

For newbies with interest to dig Zorn music deeper I would recommend just to read a bit about his different series and projects  to understand better what could be attractive for you. His different projects could vary widely in musical sense - from free-jazz hard core to movie soundtracks (in 60s fashion) to klezmer-based fusion,etc.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:43pm
I've got this John Zorn documentary DVD, Bookshelf on Top of the Sky, and I was just thinking last night about re-watching it in the near future.

I first heard of him when I bought Mr. Bungle's debut, which he produced.  It took a while for me to get into what Zorn delivers musically, but I dig it now despite not being very familiar with a ton of his stuff.  

Always liked his name: Zorn Cool
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:16pm
Leng Tch'e and Zorn's grindcore stuff are my favourites of his, but that's pretty much not jazz related.  I'm not a big fan of his elevator jazz.  His classical music is pretty bitchen.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I own around 50 Zorn/Zorn-related albums, and can agree Electric Masada is one between his best Big smile.

For newbies with interest to dig Zorn music deeper I would recommend just to read a bit about his different series and projects  to understand better what could be attractive for you. His different projects could vary widely in musical sense - from free-jazz hard core to movie soundtracks (in 60s fashion) to klezmer-based fusion,etc.

You're right about this. I like some of his filmworks too. For example, I want to buy Filmworks xiii: Invitation to a suicide (it appeals me because I'm a happy personTongueCryBig smile).

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:39pm
His filmworks is perhaps his most accesible music, but less interesting IMO
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:42am
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Leng Tch'e and Zorn's grindcore stuff are my favourites of his, but that's pretty much not jazz related.  I'm not a big fan of his elevator jazz.  His classical music is pretty bitchen.

All wrong: a lot of Zorn's hard core is free-jazz/hard core, Zorn never wrote or recorded new age ("elevator music"). His "serious" works are far not an easy listening and sure are not for everyone taste.
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:24pm
Naked City was one hell of a project, just listened to Grand Guignol yesterday and man... Such greatness.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

All wrong: a lot of Zorn's hard core is free-jazz/hard core, Zorn never wrote or recorded new age ("elevator music"). His "serious" works are far not an easy listening and sure are not for everyone taste.

I'm not talking about his free-jazz/hardcore tracks, I'm talking about the songs he did that were straight grindcore (which by the way isn't the same thing as hardcore), and the comment about "not jazz related" mostly referred to Leng Tch'e.  He did write and record what I think of as elevator jazz, I have at least 2 albums of it.  None of his works are an overwhelmingly difficult listen, a lot of them are boring squawking wank though.

Before you dismiss my post as "all wrong" at least make sure we are on the same page, wouldn't you?

Edited by triceratopsoil - 14 Jul 2011 at 5:56pm
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:54pm
This man Zorn be crazy.
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Naked City was one hell of a project, just listened to Grand Guignol yesterday and man... Such greatness.

This.

I'm a big fan of his Masada work.

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 2:31pm
Really made my entrance into a whole new kind of music with him. Of couse, that means I'll go with his obnoxious, crass, hardcore stuff. But Masada (the original) is also fantastic.

He's really mellow lately; it's nice, but... Given the amount of composing he's capable of, the light jazz albums give me the impression of having been written in an hour - and on top of that, he took on far too substantial concepts (like the Burroughs series) for such lackluster recordings.

Highest works rated, according to my RYM

**** 1/2 - Spillane
**** 1/2 - Leng T'che
**** 1/2 - Alef (
Masada)
**** - First Recordings 1973
**** - Redbird
**** - Magick
**** - Filmworks XVI: Workingman's Death
**** - 50th Birthday Celebration Vol.4 (Electric Masada)
**** - more Masada (Sevilla, Middleheim Concerts, Beit, Het)

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:12pm
Maybe you fellas can help. I know John Zorn has done more albums that the USA and Europe debt in number but I have only heard one of his albums and have never returned. The mentioned album was "Spy vs Spy" and I did not like at all. Lucky I had borrowed it Wink Anyway what is real good?
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:20pm
I'm not a huge fan Matt, but you may like Zorn's "Naked City" a great poutpourri of New York City music from hard bop to spy movie music, some punk and all kinds of stuff, very fun non-serious type album to me, but good smart musicianship from a great back-up band, and I agree Spy vs Spy is pretty bad.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:22pm
Zorn's different projects/series contain very different music, so if you don't like one it doesn't mean you will hate others as rule. Possibly you could check any original Masada you will find - acoustic mixture of klezmer (Jewish Eastern European folk music, similar to Balkan) and some free-jazz over it. Melodic,easy accessible and catchy. There are some albums from initial series,no big difference which one you will try, they generally are quite similar.

Edited by snobb - 15 Jul 2011 at 5:23pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:44pm

Thanks Slava. that was my Paul on the road to Damascus experience for me today. Talk about chalk and cheese. What an improvement.  Loved it. Does Zorn keep it tight. I wonder if he is like what Frank Zappa was with the band ? Tough and a bastard with the rehearsals. Saw him conducting on the video. Anyway say it again loved it Thumbs Up Rocks that one. (full on just as I like them)

Naked City sounds interesting too John. Have heard of the album (film) but never listened. After Spy vs Spy Confused 
Matt
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:49pm
Check this:

I've just discovered it due to this thread, and I love it! Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic