JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Zorn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:01pm
There are quite a few pro-shot Zorn concerts on BibiAudiofil's youtube channel. 

This one's my favorite:

Edited by Polo - 15 Jul 2011 at 6:02pm

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:10pm
Pablo that was great, thanks.

Looks like I have a bit more to hear from Polo Cool Loved both so far.......awesome
Matt
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Pablo that was great, thanks.

Looks like I have a bit more to hear from Polo Cool Loved both so far.......awesome

It's impossible not to like Masada.

Zorn's Naked City is hard to get into (music for the clinically insane, according to my mother) but they're my favorite Zorn project overall. If you want to listen to the Naked City debut, you can hear the entire thing for free on this page: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Naked+City/358739. No registration required.

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:27pm
Matt, you must listen to Leng Tch'e ep of Naked city. This ep (and depressive black metal, doom metal (of course mostly extreme) and grindcore etc) describes my hate and my repulsion (also a grindcore band) for life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUIqYHzgk4  

Listen to the 3rd part! And to be more specific, Yamataka Eye's screaming (it's more than this) describes my disgust for life.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:03pm
That was great did not get a chance to hear them all but tomorrow will continue.

Off to the footy to see my beloved Collingwood play..........Go Pies
Matt
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Matt, you must listen to Leng Tch'e ep of Naked city. This ep (and depressive black metal, doom metal (of course mostly extreme) and grindcore etc) describes my hate and my repulsion (also a grindcore band) for life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUIqYHzgk4  

Listen to the 3rd part! And to be more specific, Yamataka Eye's screaming (it's more than this) describes my disgust for life.

I don't think that is his style, really LOL
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:46am
Yes, but he must listen to how the darkness and misery of this world sound in music.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:11am
For those searching for most radical Zorn's experiments Hemophiliac project could be a target (with Yamataka Eye)
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
I like it. Very experimental and electronic.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:42am
IMHO this one is among his bests

I

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:00pm
I like Bar Kokhba project also even if it is far not typical Zorn's music (if there exists "typical Zorn's music" at all ) - Bar Kokhba is Zorn's turn on world fusion with minimum free jazz flavor (if at all).
ilistentomusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilistentomusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:23pm
Been exploring his more recent stuff lately. Was really impressed with In Search Of The Miraculous. And Nova Express from last year was brilliant. I love the use of Vibraphone that he's brought into a lot of recent efforts. It works really well and not an instrument i've heard much in avant jazz.

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Off to the footy to see my beloved Collingwood play..........Go Pies

Late, but see my sig for my response to this Wink
ilistentomusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilistentomusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I like Bar Kokhba project also even if it is far not typical Zorn's music (if there exists "typical Zorn's music" at all ) - Bar Kokhba is Zorn's turn on world fusion with minimum free jazz flavor (if at all).

I really like Bar Kokhba. I still need to hear all of the Masada songbooks.

Electric Masada is definitely my favourite interpretation. 50th Anniversary Celebration and Mountains of Madness are amazing performances.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 1:11am
Agree - Bar Kokhba and Masadas (especially Electric) are between Zorn's most accessible and attractive releases, only Dreamers series (even if quite different) can be compared . What doesn't mean his other works are not so good - just for other taste 
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:47pm
Bumping this hibernating bear as well.

I apparently never posted here, but I'm a big JZ fan. I'm 95% sure the first Zorn I heard was Naked City's debut, which I found excellent. So many exciting music styles blended together into a viscous stew. I'll be honest, no idea where I went after that. But today my favorite projects of his are:

Naked City
Painkiller (who only get better with repeated listenings IMO)
Moonchild Trio (who are rarely a trio anymore)

Been salivating over Masada and The Dreamers as of late (two projects I found long ago but only started fully enjoying as of late). Electric Masada included in Masada. His Masada Book Two is a very interesting project/theory that has produced some gems (my favorites being Metheny's and Secret Chief 3's).

And can't forget to mention his label Tzadik which is a blessed beacon to the world of experimental/forward looking/weird sh*t music.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic