JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interested in Checking Out Dub Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interested in Checking Out Dub Fusion
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm
anyone know a good album to start with? is it like dub-step jazz-fusion? a friend of mine likes dub a lot, and i like some of it, but i think i like the idea of it more than i like it. But mixed with jazz? now im really interested. 

Edited by darkshade - 14 Mar 2011 at 9:28pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 11:29pm
Most of the dub fusion I know of is just dub music (instrumental reggae or sometimes hip-hop), but with good solos on top. A lot of Nils Petter Molvaer could be called Dub Fusion.
My favorite is 'Hallucination Engine' by Material. I have a review up on the site.
I have a few others I've been meaning to review by Bill Laswell and Jah Wobble too.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:30am
i'll try the Material album first, i dont know what to expect Big smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:59am
Let me know what you think of it, the tone is kind of somber.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:21pm
If you want to hear a more pure version of Dub Fusion, check out 'Dub Chamber' by Bill Laswell. Nothing but Laswell's dub tracks topped with Molvaer's trumpet solos.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 2:20pm
Ekstasis  "Wake Up and Dream" is Bill Laswell's big one for us down here.
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 2:39pm
ive seen Bill Laswell's name many times here and other places (albums and such...) i may have to check him out too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 2:54pm
Be very careful, there are shockers in amongst his disco. I have probaly heard about half of it. Hallucination Engine is great I have that one as well. Praxis is good as well. I have a certain fondness for his collaboration with the Swiss Moroccan label Barraka. I would say John would not but they are Arabic music which has been techno-ed right up and usually the albums are full on. They're most popular release is

Shabeesation

Another fave is this one

South Moroccan Motor Berber

With a title like that you should know what it going to be like.
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic