JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anything similar to Bitches Brew?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:40pm
Maybe a bit late to the game, but Bitches Brew is a unique album, for sure.  Keep in mind, it was a project of studio trickery (cut and paste) as much as of the musicians involved and the "compositions" played.

Having said that, if you're still searching, you should check out what's called "Kozmikgroov" -- jazz/rock music from the late 60's to about 1972-3 or so, and later stuff that's influenced by that stuff.  People have mentioned some of this stuff already--Hancock's Mwandishi-to-Sextant period, before the funk hardened up a bit and the space abated, early Weather Report--first two or three albums, and the Live in Tokyo set, Donald Byrd's albums "Electric Byrd" and "Ethiopianm Knights," and all the Miles stuff you've been talking about.

Here are some other suggestions, though they're not going to be exactly like BB, you may find them worth checking out:
Roy Ayers-Ubiquity, Live at Montreaux
Eddie Henderson-Realization, Inside Out, Sunburst, Heritage
Joe Henderson-Black is the Color, Elements
Larry Young-Lawrence of Newark
Maybe some Les McCann--Invitation to Openness, or Layers.....maybe a bit too smooth, not "dark" enough for ya...

There are a bunch of other Kozmikgroov albums I can recommend, but they're more "jazz" instrumentation (Black Renaissance, Love Cry Want, Leroy Vinnegar, Bustar Williams, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah)  or "funk based" (Lonnie Liston Smith, Michael Urbaniak, early george Duke)......

wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:53pm
..and for more recent stuff influenced by this vibe, in addition to that Rypdal album, which I love, there's a bunch of Bill Laswell projects, "Arcana," and some other stuff by artists like:

Phantom City
Jon Hassell

And also Waddada Leo Smith's "Yo Miles" albums are really cool....in fact, his last two releases, which aren't "Yo Miles!" projects, but are his own bands, are definitely worth checking out!

and

zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoviet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

you permission denied error Angry

oh my lord!!!! thank you so much for posting this!!!! this is the best damn thing that the Chicago scene has done in a long time, well at least since Tortoise's Beacons of Ancestorship album.......immediately ordered a copy and yes it really invokes the spirit of Bitches Brew and Big Fun!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:13am
Originally posted by wideopenears wideopenears wrote:

Here are some other suggestions, though they're not going to be exactly like BB, you may find them worth checking out:
Roy Ayers-Ubiquity, Live at Montreaux
Eddie Henderson-Realization, Inside Out, Sunburst, Heritage
Joe Henderson-Black is the Color, Elements
Larry Young-Lawrence of Newark
Maybe some Les McCann--Invitation to Openness, or Layers.....maybe a bit too smooth, not "dark" enough for ya...

I finally got to hear these two, and indeed they're rather close to BB, probably due to Henderson's trumpet being the star...

Actually, I find them sonically closer to BB than to Mwandishi, despite the personnel being closer to Mwan

As for Sunburst's BB comparisons, it's a little more of a stretch, while Heritage is tagged as post bopConfused (but I haven't heard it)

I will explore Joe Henderson, but I saw that Black Is The Colour is not yet entered in our DB.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Robmid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:46pm
This post is from many years ago, but I came across it when searching for other albums like Bitches Brew. 

And I can really relate as I've been looking for albums similar to Bitches Brew for 50 years! In fact this was the first jazz album I ever purchased. 

Have have collected close to 100 albums from that era that were influenced by Bitches Brew, and I like many of them, but no, nothing really comes close. 

My next favorite to Bitches Brew (also form 50 years ago) is Live at Fillmore (the original, not the reissue - edits and all). Still Kills me. And again, like all Miles, albums, nothing else quite like it. 

Ultimately it's like searching for the holy grail. And the search is futile. Instead, I broadened my scope and now my jazz collection is 5,000+ with some real masterpieces, but comparing them with Bitches Brew is futile. They are what they are. If you're always comparing, you'll never hear the brilliance of the other albums. 

That, being said, some of my other favorites of this era include:

John McLaughlin - Devotion (another one from way back when which still does it for me)

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd and Kofi. Really wonderful spacey jams. 

John Surman - Way Back When (recorded in 1969 but lost and then finally issued in 2005. 

Frank Zappa Hot Rats. - Bitches Brew is jazz meets rock. Hot Rats is rock meets jazz. Love it. 

Nucleus - This English Band Headed by trumpeter Ian Carr (a biographer of Miles) recorded a number of fusion albums in the 70s. The live ones are best.

Joe Farrell - Joe Farrell Quintet. - Features McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. Mellow but really nice. 

Joe Zawinul - Zawinul. Beautiful album released shortly after In a Silent Way, I believe. 

Soft Machine - Both Third and Fourth float my boat. 

Elton Dean (Soft Herd) - Rogue Element - Soft Machine-ish but really good. Just got this today!

Miroslav Vitous - Infinite Search (by one of the founders of Weather Report)

Randy Weston - Blue Moses (on CTI) 

Bobby Hutcherson - Cirrus.  Contains one of my favorite songs ever, Zuri Dance. 

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow. Jeff's fusion album. 

Elephant9 - These guys stir up some Bitches Brew flavor fusion on several of their albums. Heavy stuff that really grooves. 

Again, none of the these are really like Bitches Brew, but they are offspring, with their own charms. 

Cheers, Robert

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 7:06am
A couple of albums that might be relevant that I haven't seen mentioned here would be:

Julian Priester - Love, Love
Dave Liebman - Lookout Farm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 10:44am
^ Lookout Farm is Dave Liebman's tribute to Miles' electric fusion.
If no one else has already brought it up, the first Weather Report album is in the style of Bitches Brew.

Edited by js - 16 Aug 2020 at 10:45am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ Lookout Farm is Dave Liebman's tribute to Miles' electric fusion.
If no one else has already brought it up, the first Weather Report album is in the style of Bitches Brew.

I'm a big fan of the follow up "Drum Ode" as well.
That first Weather Report album is sort of like Big Fun in a way.
khedger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khedger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 3:03pm
Here are a few things you MIGHT like:

Big Fun - Miles
Hallucination Engine - Material
Seven Souls - Material
"Weather Report" - Weather Report (there are two albums by this name, i'm recommending their first album which has Zawinul, Shorter, Vitous, Airto, and Alphonse Mouzon)

keith
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by khedger khedger wrote:

Big Fun - Miles
Seven Souls - Material
"Weather Report" - Weather Report (there are two albums by this name, i'm recommending their first album which has Zawinul, Shorter, Vitous, Airto, and Alphonse Mouzon)

keith
Hallucination Engine and Big Fun are two of my favorite albums.
khedger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khedger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by khedger khedger wrote:

Big Fun - Miles
Seven Souls - Material

keith
Hallucination Engine and Big Fun are two of my favorite albums.

Mine too.....I actually like Big Fun a bit more than Bitches.....always have.

keith
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 4:29pm
^ Of Miles' fusion albums I like Big Fun, Get Up With It, Agharta and Live at the Fillmore the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic