Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overly generous ratings??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The risk of collegial over-rating might actually mislead a newcomer in choosing  the ABC album (somewhat not at the top) from the XYZ band, instead of the MNO or PQR album (their real masterpieces) based on a minimal rating difference, and that very newcommer might be disgusted at trying another album if it's considered among the very best from XYZ... That's why it's important to have a significant margin between top rung and sexcond echelon albums. 

I think you worry too much.  Better to try one or two albums that were overrated than miss some good albums because they were underated by some overcritical reviewers
And anyway , today  you can try almost anything before you buy, and you can consult more than one source for reviews, even professional ones.

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well actually these kinds of sites (such as ours, but RYM or more)  must also take on an encyclopedic view of the whole jazz spectrum, imho. After all, don't we announce ourselves as "ultimate" first and foremost???

That is a good point, but we'd need a collective effort. As I said, many reviews are personal.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:14am
Suddenly nobody is reviewing higher than 3.5. Tongue

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Thinking of holding off on doing some reviews for a while, actually Wink

But seriously, when I have time I'll review a few and see how they turn out. I believe I can change the rating one day, if I take a second look at an album and decide to edit a review?

And I'm going to try and review albums I've had for at least several months. Years is better. Though I may make an exception for one album that I believe needs some exposure that I've only had for a month or so.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:56am
You know Hugues, a fellow countryman of yours I read is very generous with the ratings. As if all new jazz is riveting. Wink

Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:37pm
In my enthusiasm for this site I found myself wanting to review the albums I liked the most in my collection so, therefore, high ratings were inevitable.  Now that I'm going through the secondary material I'm much more judgmental and hard to please.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

In my enthusiasm for this site I found myself wanting to review the albums I liked the most in my collection so, therefore, high ratings were inevitable.  Now that I'm going through the secondary material I'm much more judgmental and hard to please.

That's only normal behaviour to cater on with our favourite albumsSmile. I did the same in terms of reviewing (although I still have to do my fave Trane and Tyner reviews)...

I'm not so much on the reviewing proper (where you can explain the rating) than about the  StarStarStarStarStar rating and running (I do some rate & run as well, but I don't get stuck in the 5* mode)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:09am

You know Hugues, a fellow countryman of yours I read is very generous with the ratings. As if all new jazz is riveting. Wink

Yes, typically the type of behaviour I'm on aboutAngryWink....

Ok, new releases deserves their chances to be heard (I actually like a lot some Nu-jazz and acid-jazz)... but ratherthan reading this type or review and buying it on the reviewer's words, I'll go to my library system and make up my own mind...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:54am

I wish....Tongue

Remember that a 3 or 3.5 means a good album.... even if non-essential

Sooooo, it's not like you're being insulting to an album by giving it 3...it's actually quite a compliment...

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:47pm
I'm pretty even when it comes to ratings. I rated albums anywhere from 5 stars to 1 1/2 stars. Of course my ratings here are based on how good it is in a jazz context, not necessarily if it is progressive or innovative. I haven't heard much jazz that is worth less than 3 stars; the only time this would happen is if it is "smooth" jazz (the kind that isn't good), or if it is jazz-related rock and doesn't have ANY jazz in it (certain Zappa albums, etc...). The rare occasion would be if the sound quality was poor, or the playing was very sloppy (which is rare in jazz)

The ratings should be based on if it is a good addition to a jazz collection, and to weed out the outstanding and great from the average or run-of-the-mill

5 stars = No jazz collection is complete without it
4 1/2 stars = Just as essential as a 5 star album, but doesn't quite hit the masterpiece status
4 stars = Exceptional album, usually just a great, solid album
3 1/2 stars = Might be a dud here or there, but at least half the album is essential jazz listening
3 stars = Average album, if you've heard this one, you've probably heard dozens like it. Good, but nothing special
2 1/2 stars = Another average album, except this one is boring, or very sugar coated smooth jazz
2 stars = Probably only 1 or 2 songs worth having, the rest is bad/average. Maybe the production is not so good; or it is not jazz-related, but might be enjoyed by a jazz fan. (sometimes this can be applied to 2 1/2 star albums)
1 1/2 stars = Poor quality/sloppy playing/sugar sugar sugar!
1 star = If an album gets one star or less, it's either the smoothest of smooth jazz, or is bad music in general.
1/2 star = use your imagination....

Edited by darkshade - 14 Jul 2011 at 3:58pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:00pm
If this site had a top 100 like at PA, it wouldn't include jazz-related albums like Funk, JR-Rock, etc.... right?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

If this site had a top 100 like at PA, it wouldn't include jazz-related albums like Funk, JR-Rock, etc.... right?

First part - it does
Second part - it doesn't
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

First part - it does
Second part - it doesn't

Oh yea duhh!!! I knew that. I looked at it once a couple weeks back Embarrassed

Ok good, since I can't see a James Brown album in the top 100 (though any jazz fan who like a good beat should enjoy his music; it IS very jazzy at times, borderline funk-jazz)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:28pm
The JBs are in Funk Jazz, James may still crack that top 100 yet.  ..Good God!! .. Hit Me!!  .. Hunh!!!    ..and so on
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:32pm
I don't have any albums by The JB's, only James Brown himself. At least 2 of his albums should be considered for funk-jazz like Revolution of the Mind or The Payback, as there is some jazz improv on top of funky goodness during these albums. But I would understand keeping it under funk, I mean, that's what it is.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:33pm
I'm going to move this thread to General Discussions, don't take the Just For Fun as a diss, that was just standard practice I got from your old buddy Tony back at the rock-n-roll site, wrongly placed threads go to Just for Fun, its nice so you don't have to think about it too much.

Help Us Improve this Site, at least at this site, means things that Max or the staff can actually change, for instance Alex's suggestion of changing Jazz Vocals to Vocal Jazz, great suggestion and we implemented it right away.
Neither Max or anyone here can change how people rate albums.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:34pm

I don't have any albums by The JB's, only James Brown himself. At least 2 of his albums should be considered for funk-jazz like Revolution of the Mind or The Payback, as there is some jazz improv on top of funky goodness during these albums. But I would understand keeping it under funk, I mean, that's what it is.

I believe I have both of those albums, I'll check it out.
The JBs are one of my favorite bands of all time, no one can play like they do, no one.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I believe I have both of those albums, I'll check it out.
The JBs are one of my favorite bands of all time, no one can play like they do, no one.

RotM is a live album, and probably would have a better chance of making it. Both albums don't really reveal their jazzier moments until you've listened deeper into the album.

Any recommendations for where to start with The JB's?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:47pm
I would go with anything in the late 60s to early 70s, its all good. After that they start going with the P-funk sound, which is great, but that early JBs was something really special.
Most of the music of theirs that I have is on mix tapes and such. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:57pm
Sounds good. As much as I enjoy the P-funk sound, it's not among my favorites. I like more the James Brown, Sly, Lettuce; more in the pocket funk. Pfunk has that too, but I dont know how to say this, it's sometimes a little too "slick" I guess...

I'll look at The JB's stuff and see what happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic