JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ornette Coleman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ornette Coleman
    Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 5:51pm
Time to start filling in the gaps a bit.

Coleman is certainly a name I should know more as his music is very appealing to me. I only have The Shape Of Jazz To Come, which is pretty good but suffers from poor sound quality (at least on my version). Of course, these are the risks with ye olde musics. Anyway, obviously I have much to listen to, which OC records do y'all recommend?

(No real biases on my end I think...so feel free to recommend anything at all.)

Thanks in advance. Smile
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
Are you familiar with his Prime Time band that he kicked off in the late 70s. they are a very different take on the fusion genre.
I have reviews for a lot of those. The Prime Time bands tend to be genre labeled Post 70s Eclectic Fusion if you are looking at his discog.
The band starts off very raw, somewhat similar to Beefhearts Trout Mask on 'Dancing in Your Head', later they become more intricate on albums like 'Virgin Beauty' and 'Tone Dialing'.

Edited by js - 07 Jul 2011 at 6:44pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm

"Golden circle" is my personal favorite. I think that it is a live album with power though it is an one horn. Or, it is likely to be known as an album by which "On tenor" also challenged tenor sax for OC.

By the way, it had questioned Robert Fripp by the interview of Japan before. It was a question that had been compared with Free Jazz of OC when KC revived as a content of the question in the 90's. It was a content that had been called it was the same, double trio as the organization. It was said that Robert Fripp would not consider the same organization it for the question. I thought that the comparison was so unrelated. Smile

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 10:53pm
Something Else!!!! doesn't get much credit. It's not very indicative of the style he would take on in later albums, but it's still a masterpiece in my opinion though it took awhile for me to appreciate. 
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:04am

I highly recommend OF HUMAN FEELINGS, its a great free funk record. I've gone through his whole discography and I don't really enjoy anything else

Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:18pm
This may not contribute too much, but I just want to mention that the Shape of Jazz to Come is an absolutely mind-ridiculousing record. The opening track, Lonely Woman is so incredibly dizzying and nauseating, I had a bad hangover once and I couldn't this song out of my head, and now I can't listen to it or even think about it without wanting to throw up. I mean, damn.
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 4:42pm

Damn. I forgot I created this thread.

Thanks for the replys so far everyone. The Prime Time sounds most interesting to me (with Of Human Feelings close behind) but I've made notes of all recs.

@ Dylbean: Hahaha...thats a great story!
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 12:08pm
Skies of America is brilliant. Science Fiction is amazing as well.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 5:39pm
His 'Free Jazz' album is worth investigating if you've not heard it. Can be a challenging listen, but then, that's one reason (out of many) that Jazz is so good. I don't spin this a lot, but I'm glad I have it, if only to have expanded my exposure to the style 

no reviews here yet, but I thought there was no reason I shouldn't post a link to JMA itslef!

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 20 Jul 2011 at 5:41pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 5:45pm
"Free Jazz" is a great time capsule for the 60s avant-garde in the arts. The cover by Jackson Pollack adds to that effect.
The music and the art together so capture that time period.
chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:03pm
I've liked and I recommend the following:

Free Jazz
Ornette!
The Art of the Improvisers
Twins
Love Call
New York is Now
Song X
Padraic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:32am
In addition to all those stated, check out Town Hall 1962.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:12pm

My Fave Ornie's is "Beauty is a Rare Thing", yep the Atlantic Box Set.........just buy it and save yourself the agony if you feel you may have missed a good album. I like "At the Golden Circle"...1 and 2 but prefer two a little more. "Science Fiction" is great but the pick of the Atlantic ones is "Free Jazz", one of its own, Free Jazz is Free Jazz. Warning though there really is not much structure, more just go for it Sax man

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:00pm
Get "Free Jazz" on vinyl and you get the Pollack painting, they make a great time period package together.
wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:10pm
Of Human Feelings is my favoirte of the Prime Time records, though I have them all--In All Languages is probably number two.

Shape of Jazz...is essential.  Lonely Woman, to me, is one of the most plaintive pieces of music I've ever heard.  Free Jazz is a difficult listen, but great to clear out the cobwebs once a year.  Science Fiction Sessions is widely diverse.  Golden Circle 1 and 2 are live trio records, both cool, though some folks can't take Ornette's violin playing.

His most recent stuff, including Sound Grammer, is good too.....
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:49am
Free jazz
Science Fiction
New York is Now
Dancing in your Head
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:37pm
Yeah, dude. I just heard Free Jazz for the first time recently. I picked it up at this great record store in my hometown.

. It's going to take some more time to get into, for sure. But I was pleasantly surprised at its cohesiveness. It's really together (despite the 'free'), and the liner notes are really interesting. Just thought I'd comment.

Edit: Oh, whoops, I'm sorry. I didn't realize swearing is not cool. I will refrain in the future.

Edited by Dylbean - 06 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:41pm
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:13am
I have The Shape Of Jazz and Free Jazz, neither has really hit me yet.  Of them I prefer Free Jazz so far, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic