JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for New Additions (Part 1)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for New Additions (Part 1)
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 6:31pm
Allen Vizzutti - Classic Fusion/Third Stream (his album "Skyrocket" includes Chick Corea, Bunny Brunel, and others (Bunny Brunel is also missing from the archives)) Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ4RvAoE9sc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfCsVIWT9M&feature=related

Back Door - Classic Fusion or Avant-Garde Jazz?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJODInAKn4k
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5095

Béla Fleck & The Flecktones - World Fusion? Classic Fusion? Post-Fusion Contemporary?

Big Gigantic - DJ/Hip-Hop Jazz or Nu-Jazz?
http://www.myspace.com/biggigantic

Caribbean Jazz Project - World Fusion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzb48QZ-8TU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Jazz_Project

Ron Kerber - post-bop
http://www.dreamboxmedia.com/kerber.htm
(unfortunately, this was the best link i could find)

check 'em out, i think they all deserve a place at JMA

Edited by darkshade - 14 Mar 2011 at 6:35pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 6:58pm
Thanks Mike, I'm checkin em out. I was just thinking of Bela the other day, I didn't think he was here and sure enough...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:02pm
the band, yes.

i dont know Bela Fleck's solo stuff, never got around to checking it out. I know he played with Chick Corea on that one album a couple years back, but i dont know what his output sounds like. I noticed Victor Wooten was here and figured I'd check to see if BF&TFT were too.

Check out Allen Vizzutti, "Skyrocket" (1995 i think?) is one of the best fusion albums from the 90s, and has some killer bass lines.

Edited by darkshade - 14 Mar 2011 at 7:03pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:05pm
You can download all of Big Gigantic's albums and EPs for free on their myspace. My favorite album is "A Place Behind The Moon". They have the funky electronic beats mixed with techno/house sounds, but lots of improv, particularly from the sax
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:30pm
Yeah Mike, all the suggestions are good, but I'm going to pass on Big Gigantic. I hear the sax solos, but the beats and music aren't jazz. All of our DJ jazz guys are playing real jazz, they just do it with turntables plus instruments.
Thanks for the suggestions, the others will get added soon.
Back Door is hard to classify, equal parts JR Rock, AG and Fusion, I'll probably see what Slava thinks, he likes this kind of noisy European hippie music. Wink

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:35pm
Actually Back Door should maybe go in JR Improv. I don't know if you have checked out that genre, but its for music influenced by AG Jazz. and other things like that. 
Thats where Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser and ROVA are.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yeah Mike, all the suggestions are good, but I'm going to pass on Big Gigantic. I hear the sax solos, but the beats and music aren't jazz. All of our DJ jazz guys are playing real jazz, they just do it with turntables plus instruments

i just cant win with the electronic/DJ/hip-hop type stuff OuchLOL

Edited by darkshade - 14 Mar 2011 at 7:52pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:28pm
If we drop our guard for half a second this place will be crawling with DJs  Stern Smile

Edited by js - 14 Mar 2011 at 8:29pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:50pm
haha i only know a half dozen artists i was just trying to see if the ones i knew fit
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:01pm
Allen Vizzutti is an interesting mix of 3rd Stream and a sort of pop fusion.
We'll be nice and start him off in 3rd Stream, but some of his albums are tagged Crossover by All Music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:11pm
honestly most of the stuff ive heard by him is classical/third stream

the album "Skyrocket" is mostly jazz-rock/funk. A couple tracks are surely pop-fusion. i wish i could show you another track. Also, that version of Zig Zag is lackluster compared to the studio version (which actually has Chick Corea, Bunny Brunel, and Joe Farrell on it)

**EDIT** check out Skyrocket - http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1124503/a/Skyrocket.htm

Edited by darkshade - 14 Mar 2011 at 9:16pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:14pm
btw does the Bela Fleck page include The Flecktones?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:15pm
Well, you'll probably be the one tagging them, so its your call.  Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:17pm
true, if not tonight, tomorrow i'll most likely be going on an "adding albums" binge for a lot of artists
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

true, if not tonight, tomorrow i'll most likely be going on an "adding albums" binge for a lot of artists

Let Phil import them first, that will save you some work.
Flecktones go with Mr Fleck.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:37pm
alright. i'll just wait til tomorrow i guess. Maybe i'll write up some reviews. i only have 2 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:01pm
If you feel like adding albums, there are tons or em missing from discogs all over this site.  Geek
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:31am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Actually Back Door should maybe go in JR Improv. I don't know if you have checked out that genre, but its for music influenced by AG Jazz. and other things like that. 
Thats where Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser and ROVA are.

I agree with John there - Back Door are close to Post 70s Eclectic Fusion by their sound and aesthetics, but  they broke up in 1977 (ok, they have two later reunions) , so chronologically it wouldn't be true decision to put them into "post 70s" section. Than - possibly the best another version -JR Improv..

Edited by snobb - 15 Mar 2011 at 7:15am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:36am

the band, yes.

i dont know Bela Fleck's solo stuff, never got around to checking it out. I know he played with Chick Corea on that one album a couple years back, but i dont know what his output sounds like. I noticed Victor Wooten was here and figured I'd check to see if BF&TFT were too.

From what I heard, main difference between Bella Fleck solo and him with Flecktones is with band he plays fusion and solo he plays post-bop,etc. (not fusion).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:41am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

the band, yes.

From what I heard, main difference between Bella Fleck solo and him with Flecktones is with band he plays fusion and solo he plays post-bop,etc. (not fusion).

Individual tagging of albums can take care of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic