JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Nu-Jazz Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Nu-Jazz Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 3:58pm
My favorite kind of jazz ever, people! Big smile

What's not to love, my friends?! Big smile

Share your favorite nu-jazz, give recommendations or even just introduce yourself to it. A truly great brand of music.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:14pm
Damn! You did it first. Anyway, congratulations for the topic. I like this subgenre of jazz. Maybe is my 2nd (or my 1st?) favorite after jazz rock/fusion.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:16pm
That Wesseltoft and Schwarz album you listed up there is one of the coolest albums of the year so far.
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

That Wesseltoft and Schwarz album you listed up there is one of the coolest albums of the year so far.

Definitely, it's actually the best jazz album from this year I've heard. Big smile
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:25pm

Fantastic album! But the title composition is splendid. I bought it together with Skala before two weeks I think.

Edited by Prog Geo - 27 Jun 2011 at 4:29pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 6:12pm

Wesseltoft and Schwarz...........very nice, thank you Truth for enlightning me Thumbs Up The others were nice too, Mathias Eick I thought was a bit slow at the start but it developed beautifully, Prog Geo.  I like most ECM material.

Back to The Jazz Crusaders......My fave type of Jazz apart from Afro Cuban that is ............Hard Bop, actually any Bop..Be or Post will do as well Sax man I like my Swing ,you know
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:04pm
I do not own too much a lot of albums of Nu-Jazz. However, I feel that "Solid Ether" of Nils Petter Molvaer is a very good album.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:55am
Do I need to say EST?

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:10am
I keep my eye on nu jazz development during few last years. What I can say is there are two many vibrant nu jazz markets - Nordic countries and Poland. 

Norway/Sweden were both lands where nu jazz had it's explosion some time ago and Nordic bands still releases some interesting albums ,but not too often nowadays. Generally Nordic nu jazz mutated to instrumental ambient/jazzy ambient/non-jazzy ambient or more jazz-rock. Polish nu jazz grew up from "yass" movement (unique Polish musical scene in some sense analog to Canterbury but more modern) - partially from Milosc band (where young Leszek Mozdzer started his career). With bands like Robotobibok,Contemporary Noise Sextet/Quartet, Pink Freud, Mikrokolektyw, 100nka,etc,etc Polish modern nu jazz scene is most innovative and interesting now.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:13pm
Hmm, seems I have very little nu-jazz. I do have Jaga Jazzist - "A Livingroom Hush" which I must have listened to about 25 times since I got it last summer. It's a great record. I remember I couldnt get into their recent album for some reason.

I think the only other nu-jazz album I have (if this counts) is Squarepusher - "Hard Normal Daddy" which has some good stuff, but a couple tracks I could do without.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:33am
No,Squarepusher isn't nu jazz - and quite different from that genre.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

No,Squarepusher isn't nu jazz - and quite different from that genre.

What would he be considered? (at least for that album)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:09pm
I think that was when Squarepusher was still doing DrumnBass, although a lot of Squarepusher's music sort of defies categories, especially later in his career.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:35pm
oh yea drum n' bass. How could I forget about that genre haha
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:26am

I tend to agree with Bugge Wesseltoft that nu.fusion , (if we want to be pedantic, that sub division of nu.jazz), owes a lot to 70's/80's Miles Davis and Jon Hassle. Digging back a 80's ECM release by Hassle you'll find that distinct jazz groove, jazz dance sound there, predating the likes of Nils Petter Molvaer by over a decade.

BTW, let's be careful with overdoing the labels, since at least one of the so called jam bands,  e.g. Garaj Mahal quite effortlessly slip  through a variety of modern nu.jazz/fusion styles through their recordings.

As for jazz drum'n'bass, check out Wayne Krantz's some time rhythm section, calling themselves  Boomish, for instance their album Clearance Sale.

Edited by Dick Heath - 11 Jul 2011 at 11:28am
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 3:23pm
^ Nice avatar!  Clap

All newbies must visit the "Welcome newbies" section, though. Stern Smile

Wink
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ Nice avatar!  Clap

Wink

Something my daughter did about 11 years ago - she's now 20 - and it got published in Jazzwise magazine many yearsa go.

I better go introduce myself - but I'm sure some of you know me already!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:33am
Welcome to the site,DickHug

Edited by snobb - 12 Jul 2011 at 11:34am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ Nice avatar!  Clap

Wink

Something my daughter did about 11 years ago - she's now 20 - and it got published in Jazzwise magazine many yearsa go.

I better go introduce myself - but I'm sure some of you know me already!

Hello Dick, I was wondering when you were going to make your way over to this side of the Innernet Wink
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:30am
I'm loving Sex Mob's Dime Grind Palace. Almost no swingin' ride (stay away, purists) and Kenny Wollesen is so restrained. Feels weird to hear him playing minimalist, old school hip hop-like beats without remembering how mad he was when drumming for Electric Masada.

Edited by Polo - 16 Jul 2011 at 11:43am

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic