JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charlie Parker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charlie Parker!
    Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:12pm
I don't even know if there's anything left to be said about Bird. The guy is a bona fide American music legend and one of the greatest musicians of the century and, I suspect, in the history of mankind. But, I was wondering: What's a good album of his to pick up? Right now I've got a couple boxsets, which have got some great stuff on them but it's interspersed with an awful lot of false starts, incomplete takes, and footage that's of very low sound quality (understandable, of course, but that doesn't necessarily make it listenable). Any recommendations for a couple of straight up albums that have some great material on them?

Jamey Aebersold recommends Bird & Diz and Now's the Time. Can anyone vouch for those?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:37pm
I was listening to some songs from' Bird and Diz' the other night on Pandora, I was very impressed. 
Any of those live albums he did with Diz when they were at their peak are pretty much the ultimate expression of jazz to me.
If anyone has never heard those two at their high flying wreckless best, they are missing a lot.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:59pm
Here is one that I do not own that sounds like a good one: "At the 1946 JATP Concert". It features an all-star jam session with Diz and Buddy Rich, as well as some older guys like Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins. It would also be interesting to hear those last two take on the new style.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:59pm
I have Bird and Diz as well and Charlie Parker at Storyville. Even though I have heard not a lot I do agree with John to go Live with him. Storyville though is not that great. ( really blurry Sound). I know to keep away from his West Coast sessions which are regarded as his worst due to being absolutely drunk because of a lack of heroin. Dizzy dumped him ( don't blame Diz)) and went back East and Charlie wound up in the Looney Bin. Dizzy said in his autobiography that he told Charlie "You are slobberin' in your horn". BeerSax manBeerSickSax manBeer
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:01pm
If he couldn't find any heroin in California, then he probably wasn't in San Francisco. Ermm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

If he couldn't find any heroin in California, then he probably wasn't in San Francisco. Ermm
He would of had a sore arse John, as well in San Fransico Wink
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:18pm
Angry  Look out now, you're talking about my old hometown.      Go Giants!!  Beer
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:23pm
LOL I know what happens I saw Al Pacino in "Cruising" Shocked
Matt
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:25pm
I've only got the Eastwood movie and a sort of best of CD.  So, what's his best studio album?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:35pm
The best of the Verve years looks like a nice collection. I don't own it. 
Unfortunately a lot of my older jazz music is on poorly marked cassettes recorded long ago that may say some thing like 'bird' or 'jazz' and not much else. Ermm 
If I hear him on an old cassette of mine, he is usually instantly recognizable.
These days I'm just lazy and program Pandora stations to play the music I want to hear.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:37pm

The work of Bird is classified as a general opinion at the time of Savoy, Dial, and Verve.

"On Dial" series might be known well. A personal favorite is "With Strings".

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:41pm
The 'with strings' albums are generally ballads and/or popular tunes of the time. He got a lot of flak from the hardcore bop crowd for going 'commercial', but these days his dates with strings are highly regarded and they do sound very nice.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 10:49pm
The forum is a reference book of jazz. Headbanger
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:53am
I know I'm gonna get killed for this...

but when I joined JMA, one of the first thing I did was to rent Eastwood's Birdie movie to view (I had seen it in the theater back then), just to see if I still didn't really like the music...
Right around that time, I also saw once more Tavernier's Round About Midnight (with Dexter Gordon).... I much preferred the second movie....

Something makes not appreciate Bird's music.... toooooo old-sounding for me.

I still like the scene when Bird " borrowed" the other sax player's instruments to see if it was built the same way  and copuld play more than one note at a timeLOL >> priceless!

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm
Anyone aware of "The Quintet"?

This was a real band back in the late 40s or early 50s. I used to have a recording of them on my old computer, and it was some awesome bop of that period. But the lineup was fantastic

Charlie Parker - sax
Dizzy Gillespie  trumpet
Charles Mingus - bass
Bud Powell - piano
Max Roach - drums

talk about a "Supergroup of Jazz"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:13pm
^ Wow! That is incredible band. Any idea what the album or albums names are?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:33pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:51pm
Can you tell me if The quintet had released a studio album?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 1:03pm
I think that live album on the wikipedia site is the only album they have. It's the one I used to have (I wish I had gotten a hard copy). I remember it being very good however, and very good quality, considering it's a live album from the early 50s
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_at_Massey_Hall

Wow, thanks for the tip! Talk about a fantastic band
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic