JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charlie Parker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:19pm
Early in his career it was hard to tell if he was into acting.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Awesome movie..........directed by Clint Eastwood, Forest Whitaker is Bird. I nearly watched it myself ( again) just the other night. I really don't believe anyone else could have done as good a job as Clint Eastwood being into Jazz the way he is. The film was released in 1988........23 years ago Pinch........can't believe its that long back.

Saw it back when it was released in the theater, mainly to see if I could get into Bird's music back then (this is about 20 years ago)... Back then , Eastwood was not yet known as a movie director, and personally I don't think this is one of his better one.... but it's also tricky to do a biography rather than a fiction... the risk to be a little bored is much higher...

Actually the only thing I really remembered was when Bird "steals" the saxophone and plays in the back alley to see check if it didn't have a defect and couldn't play more than one note at a time.... that had me laughing...

I rented it again about three or four months ago, when the site opened and to be honest, my opinion hasn't changed all that much, both about the movie and Parker's music...

In terms of jazz movies, I much prefer Tavernier's Round About Midnight
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm
I agree that, being one of Eastwood's earliest attempts at directing, the story moves slowly and the whole thing is quite dark but I admire how he avoided glamorizing Bird or ignoring his addictive personality that so hampered his art.  I'm sure if Clint had it to do over he'd take some pointers from the fabulous "Ray" biopic and brighten the mood a bit.  Still, I'd enthusiastically recommend it to anybody who is curious about why Parker is so revered.  Now, if only someone would dare to take on Miles!  Star
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:10pm
I like it but I am biased with Clint. Thought Forest Whittaker played Bird great. I liked it dark. its not like Bird had the happiest of times and Whittaker brought an almost nervous fragile underlay with the character. One of his other early directing movies is a classic as well and one of my favourites and that is "Bronco Billy".
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I used to watch "Wagon Train"..........."Head em' up and move em' out"Cool. "Yee hah"   What about 'Where Eagles Dare" John.Tongue seriously though he made the best western ever being "The Unforgiven"
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:19pm
Yeah, I like all the old spaghetti westerns he did.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:26pm

Yeah, I like all the old spaghetti westerns he did.
Hey John it was "Rawhide" he was in not "Wagon Train" Confused Got me wires crossed, realised when I saw the post go up. My excuse is I just got out of bed LOL You can tell what shows I watched as a kid
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I used to watch "Wagon Train"..........."Head em' up and move em' out"Cool. "Yee hah"   What about 'Where Eagles Dare" John.Tongue seriously though he made the best western ever being "The Unforgiven"
Correction make that "Rawhide" and not "Wagon Train"Confused I could have been a brain surgeon or a nuclear physicist
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:02pm
Yeah, I remember "Rawhide" , that goes way back, there was another similar show I barely recall called "Branded".
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:09pm

Yeah, I remember "Rawhide" , that goes way back, there was another similar show I barely recall called "Branded".
Yeah, we watched that. Remember the start where they rip all his stuff of his uniform and break his sword ClapClapClapClapClap We even watched Rin Tin Tin as well Big smile
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:11pm
The main reason I remember "Branded" was because of that opening scene shown every week without fail, ha.
Yes, there was Rin Tin Tin and Lassie, dogs were all the rage back then.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:29am
Gotta agree about "Unforgiven."  One of those movies that I can come across halfway through and I end up watching it to the incredible ending even though I've seen it dozens of times.  Best western ever...
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic