JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alice Coltrane and others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alice Coltrane and others
    Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 1:15am
Obvious addition to the site is Alice Coltrane, in Avant-Garde Jazz or Post-Bop? I'm more inclined towards the former, though her work is not really that demanding compared to Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp and the like.

Also I'd like to see Big John Patton, soul jazz organist.

Booker Ervin on hard bop probably.

Freddie Roach, soul jazz organist.

Grachan Moncur III for Avant Garde Jazz.

Horace Parlan for Post-Bop.

Horace Silver for soul jazz or hard bop.

Jim Hall, famous jazz guitarist, though not sure where.

Lonnie Smith(not Lonnie Liston Smith), soul jazz organist.

Red Garland for hard bop.

Roy Hargrove for post-bop?

Tania Maria for Latin Jazz.

Magma for JR Rock. The band's first two albums are deeply rooted in jazz and Attahk is very fusion like.

And that's about it, as for now. Wink

Since I'm sure many of you already know most of these I haven't posted samples, just ask me for samples for the ones you're not aware.

Edited by Abraxas - 12 Mar 2011 at 2:21am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 3:34am
Tania Maria Thumbs Up :

RE. Alice Coltrane  I think she better fits to avant-garde, even if part of her music is Indian trad/meditative influenced.

I agree that two first Magma's albums are more jazz rock than zeuhl, but band's addition will bring huge discog of non-jazz albums. And - what is possibly more important - Magma is well-known not by their first two albums, but as zeuhl leading band, what in some sense is opposite to jazz band . May be more jazzy Magma-related artists as Yochk'o Seffer solo or One Shot have more senses to be added?

Still both of them are zeuhl-influenced, but more jazzy, comparing with Magma themselves.And we have Guillaume Perret & Electric Epic there added already, another Magma's bassist Philippe Bussonnet more jazzy band.  

Grachan Moncur III is known free-jazz reeds player, so no brainer there I think:

Edited by snobb - 12 Mar 2011 at 4:22am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:32am
Great suggestions Pablo, some of those are already on my to-do list.

Magma will be added eventually, but I'm holding off on some prog-rock bands for now.
Keeping a lid on the number of prog-rock bands in the early days will help keep the front page of the site looking like a jazz site, not a subsidiary of a prog site.
This is an issue I've discussed with Max many times and he is with me on this.
We will add Magma eventually, but lets wait until we have established this site as a jazz site first.

Edited by js - 17 Mar 2011 at 6:54am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:42am
Hey Pablo, Dr Lonnie Smith is already here, as well as Lonnie Liston Smith.  Wink
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 8:12am
I'll add One Shot, but lets wait on Yochkio. Both bands have a numbing repitition to them that would have a lot of jazz fans banging their head against the wall.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 11:44am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Magma will be added eventually, but I'm holding off on some prog-rock bands for now.
Keeping a lid on the number of prog-rock bands in the early days will help keep the front page of the site looking like a jazz site, not a subsidiary of a prog site.
We will add Magma eventually, but lets wait until we have established this site as a jazz site first.

Yes, I completely agree with your decision concerning addition of Prog bands. That's why I felt kind of embarassed by suggsting most of them (Canterbury), so thought I would dig my jazz list and suggest the ones from here.

Edited by js - 05 Apr 2011 at 8:40pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 12:48pm
nice little list of suggestions. i was going to do something similar.

the only Alice Coltrane i have is Journey in Satchidananda. It is more meditative, but deeper listening shows that it is avant-garde, to my ears. I know that one album she did with Carlos Santana, and that one isnt so wild from what I remember, but it was quite reflective.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 12:50pm
^check Ptah the El Daoud, that's less mediative and more jazzy in the likes of Pharoah Sanders and Trane. Her piano work is great throughout.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 4:08pm
Fabulous suggestions Pablo, We missed all those Ouch Esp. Horace Silver,Parlan, Booker Ervin, Moncur,Patton.Alice Coltrane Know all your suggestions but it is great having fresh eyes here. We all have had our heads in reviews or other tasks pretty much since I arrived and occasionally have looked at specific artists. You will be handy for help and needed Handshake 

I have to put my 2 bobs worth in ( Aussie colloquialism) Wink I reckon Horace Silver for Hard Bop. He was the first leader of The Jazz  Messengers before Blakey. Like George Reeves as Superman you get pigeon holed.Smile

Better start on Hank Mobley, John

A real big one that needs work too is Cranky Franky. If you would like John I could make him my next main project to do with artists after Hank. Practically all the artists or bands need work, additions, bios,classification etc. How many artists now do we have on the site Shocked I only have about 30 years left if I am lucky LOL
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:14pm
Do what you think is best Senor Matt, I bet this place remains a beautiful chaotic mess for ever, after all its run by a bunch of jazz loving incense burning bannanna peel smoking Sarte reading bongo playing lazy anti-authority beatniks.  Cool
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:32pm

Do what you think is best Senor Matt, I bet this place remains a beautiful chaotic mess for ever, after all its run by a bunch of jazz loving incense burning bannanna peel smoking Sarte reading bongo playing lazy anti-authority beatniks.  Cool
But aren't they the only type of people John, who play this stuff? Wink
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 11:37pm
i mean, there are soooooo many jazz artists, and we're trying to be the most complete. It's likely a few will be missed. I know a bunch of artists we're still missing (ill get that list by tomorrow, spring break, beeches!)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:34am
You're going to the beach?  Smile
EntertheLemming View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:40am

Wise words. Shoe shops sell accessories but there are no accessory shops that sell shoes....(need to switch to decaf I think) Confused

Edited by js - 05 Apr 2011 at 8:42pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 10:50am

You're going to the beach?  Smile

i wish Unhappy

im off work and school for 8 days so that gives me lots of time for the JMA!
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:37pm
Another suggestion:

Blue Mitchell for Hard Bop ?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:24pm
Certainly,   ...nice Pharoh Sanders review by the way, I love hippie jazz.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:49pm

Certainly,   ...nice Pharoh Sanders review by the way, I love hippie jazz.

Approve
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 1:32pm
Ok.. here's another suggestion: trumpeter, Booker Little.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 1:44pm
Duh,  ..thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic