JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pianists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who is your favourite player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
4 [12.50%]
5 [15.63%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has voted for Thelonius Monk.Confused

He was my #2

He wouldn't have been in my top 5!!!Embarrassed (I gave mine in my first post on the thread)

but he's generally universally recognized as a genius (although more so in the songwriting dept proper, rather than piano proficiency or virtuosity itself), which is why I'm a little amazed at no-one voting for him...

But at Thelo's defence, the competition he's facing is rather tough.

I'm not a musician, but I think that if JMA was more crowded with "old-jazz" school fans, Monk would be an obvious choice. 
Besides his compositions, he had a highly original and complex approach to the piano.
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

He was my #2

He wouldn't have been in my top 5!!!Embarrassed (I gave mine in my first post on the thread)

but he's generally universally recognized as a genius (although more so in the songwriting dept proper, rather than piano proficiency or virtuosity itself), which is why I'm a little amazed at no-one voting for him...

I'm not a musician, but I think that if JMA was more crowded with "old-jazz" school fans, Monk would be an obvious choice. 
Besides his compositions, he had a highly original and complex approach to the piano.

This is true. Thelonious's clanky chordal style has never been successfully emulated. I remember trying one of his transcribed solos and gave up halfway through because it really wasn't comfortable to play. Not technically, just didn't feel right!

@Ricochet:

At least he's still alive, unlike most of my idols

Nevertheless, I apperciate your pain, one of the greatest living jazz pianists and he's comes by England barely at all... If he did, I'd save up. But it's probably never going to happen unless I move to Japan or stumble upon a private jet.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

He was my #2

This is true. Thelonious's clanky chordal style has never been successfully emulated. I remember trying one of his transcribed solos and gave up halfway through because it really wasn't comfortable to play. Not technically, just didn't feel right!

Haha, that was a daring task, my friend. Clap
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:16pm
i Voted Chick 
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:17am

He was my #2

Haha, that was a daring task, my friend. Clap

Indeed! Some of the chords you take a look at and think "REALLY??????"

Yep, the man was truly unique.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:56pm

Monk is in my top five Jazz musicians and I would have him 2nd myself. Playing him right now and for my money one of the best Jazz composers ,full stop............ How many versions of "Round Midnight" and "Straight No Chaser" are out there? My favourite is "Well You Needn't" and I know that he is Bop but he laid the foundation for Avante with his structures. I hear his ghost often in that genre. I do not know what all those Jazz experts say but I have been listening to those Riverside albums for nearly 20 years now. Bloody love his music. Bowdown

Somebody always says this in these Polls but you missed one

"a,hum...ahhh"  what about Andrew Hill HugHeartCool

I am a fan Big smile
Matt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:40pm
Can't say I've ever heard Andrew Hill, I will do my research

And I agree with you on Thelonious, helped shape modern music!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:00pm

Been having a Monk-athon todaySmile Andrew Hill is great. Everybody raves about "Point of Depature" but "Blackfire" is my fave. Juat a quartet with Joe Henderson, Richard Davis, bass and Roy Haynes, drums. First album he did under his own name. Beautiful. He is a spacer and placer with his technique and slight discordant touch as he usually misses a note or two with his style which makes him unique in his own way. Did not sell much at all in his early Blue Note days but these days. I know this might be the most used quote but he was ahead of his time and he played Jazz his style. We have him under Post Bop but you could almost put him in Avante as well. Best description I suppose is Andrew Hill is Andrew Hill. Thumbs Up
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:51pm
I agree, Andrew Hill is right between AG and Post Bop.feel free to change any of his album tags that are wrong.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Been having a Monk-athon todaySmile Andrew Hill is great. Everybody raves about "Point of Depature" but "Blackfire" is my fave. Juat a quartet with Joe Henderson, Richard Davis, bass and Roy Haynes, drums. First album he did under his own name. Beautiful. He is a spacer and placer with his technique and slight discordant touch as he usually misses a note or two with his style which makes him unique in his own way. Did not sell much at all in his early Blue Note days but these days. I know this might be the most used quote but he was ahead of his time and he played Jazz his style. We have him under Post Bop but you could almost put him in Avante as well. Best description I suppose is Andrew Hill is Andrew Hill. Thumbs Up

I'm going to get shot for this, but AH is simply not my type of jazz (btw, his JMA discography is wayayay incomplete >> most of his later 70's albums are missing)...

just too old-school for me... even in the late 60's and early 80's, he sounded like the 50's.... Unlike most jazzmen  (such as Bon Byrd), he never tried to update himself (to the point where I'm wondering why he's classified as "postbop" or even avant-garde >> sounds like an anti-nommer to me)... BTW I must say I have never heard his 70's albums I speak of above >> this will be solved in two weeks' time (got them reserved from the library system, but unfortunately they don't have Blue Black)Cry

Soooooo, I'm basing my (uneducated) opinion on an albums like Dance With Death, which didn't strike me as really modern-sounding for its year of release (1980)

BTW, one question: what happened to him between 69 & 74?? no albums ConfusedShocked

Edited by Sean Trane - 02 Jul 2011 at 3:47am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:53am
^ Check this, and tell us what you think of it:

I think this is definitely post bop, slightly heading toward avant.

And if you want some avant:

I think you should really check his 60s albums, it's all pretty much quality jazz and belonging to either post bop or avant like Matt said.

Edited by Abraxas - 02 Jul 2011 at 12:00pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 1:05pm
OK, I've heard fairly recently (like the last 8 months or so):
Point Of Departure
Smokestack
Grassroot
Passing Ships
Andrew!!!

And later:
Dance With Death

I remember hearing over the last few years (so my memories are a bit fainter):
Compulsion!!!
Judgment!
Black Fire.

And to be honest, haven't heard anything more (or even close to) postbop as Coltrane or Mingus, Tyner, early Hancock  or AG as Ayler, Coleman, later Trane, Shepp,  Dolphy and Sun Ra

AAMOF, I don't find these AH albums more postbop than most early 60's Don Byrd albums (like Cat Walk, New perspective, In flight or Free Form... and they (JMA collabs) qualify him as hardbop

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 6:19pm
^from those Byrd albums, I've heard Free Form and New Perspective, and the former (pun not intended) is definitely Hard Bop, with the exception of the title track which is a bit more adventurous. New Perspective, not sure, I don't think it's really post bop, but it's a more ingenious style of hard bop. 

If you don't remember Compulsion!!, I've posted a tube above, you really can't say that's not avant, or something that Byrd ever did.

Edited by Abraxas - 02 Jul 2011 at 6:51pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 7:39pm

^from those Byrd albums, I've heard Free Form and New Perspective, and the former (pun not intended) is definitely Hard Bop, with the exception of the title track which is a bit more adventurous. New Perspective, not sure, I don't think it's really post bop, but it's a more ingenious style of hard bop. 

If you don't remember Compulsion!!, I've posted a tube above, you really can't say that's not avant, or something that Byrd ever did.

Oooooops, sorry! Compulsion!!!  is indeed much more adventurous, it can be avant-garde.  indeed

don't get me wrong here: I can hear Dolphy's "out there"playing in Point Of Departure, but he's tyhe only one , the others playing fairly standard 50's jazz

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:06pm
  ^  ..."standard 50s jazz" is a confusing term as the 50s were extremely diverse. You had the rise of Cool and Hard Bop while some still played Bop and even Swing. The Dixieland revival kicked in big time and Afro-Cuban was at its most popular. Bossa Nova was a big hit and some people were able to keep up big swing bands while others started the whole Progressive Big Band idea. Jump blues was also very popular and about to become much more popular as it lead to rock n roll and RnB.

You would have to go back about a decade or two before you would find jazz in a style that enough people were playing that you could call it a "standard" style for that time.. The Swing era or earlier actually.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 2:16am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^  ..."standard 50s jazz" is a confusing term as the 50s were extremely diverse. You had the rise of Cool and Hard Bop while some still played Bop and even Swing. The Dixieland revival kicked in big time and Afro-Cuban was at its most popular. Bossa Nova was a big hit and some people were able to keep up big swing bands while others started the whole Progressive Big Band idea. Jump blues was also very popular and about to become much more popular as it lead to rock n roll and RnB.

You would have to go back about a decade or two before you would find jazz in a style that enough people were playing that you could call it a "standard" style for that time.. The Swing era or earlier actually.
Oh yeah, I know I'm being a bit reductive with that standard 50's jazzEmbarrassed... I don't mean to be reductive or negative about it either,

I probably lack the sufficient words to find a better description, but it's clear that in my time-wrapped mind, I do include inside that description bossa nova and the stuff that my father was listening, from Duke to Satchmo & Ella to Illinois Jacket to Lionel Hampton and Basie etc... Generally melodic stuff (even if Bird Parker was too much for my parents and many of the public >>> not what his players were doing, but what Parker played himself)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:37am
Argh the term "avant-garde" is so overused... If anything in Compulsion Andrew Hill is only breaking down personal boundries. He is expressing him self freely without the ties of harmonic law
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 12:00pm

Argh the term "avant-garde" is so overused... If anything in Compulsion Andrew Hill is only breaking down personal boundries. He is expressing him self freely without the ties of harmonic law

Well then, 'free jazz' sounds better for you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 12:19pm

Yeah man

Man I sounded really pedantic... I do apologise
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 1:36pm

Yeah man

Man I sounded really pedantic... I do apologise

Haha, no prob. I actually would have said free jazz, but since free jazz is inside Avant in here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic