JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pianists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Who is your favourite player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
4 [12.50%]
5 [15.63%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Glenn Gould. Almost jazz. Tongue

He can't even play a decent Schubert, what to expect of jazz. Tongue

Or Bach I can get more feel out of Sibelius 6...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

Now hold on there...

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 3:13am
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has voted for Thelonius Monk.Confused
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 4:31am

Now hold on there...

I know, a little rash... It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but I can't listen to his Bach renditions. Personal taste, but I think it sounds a bit robotic...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:10am
^ You must have heard his very early recordings, fast, furious and maybe even "robotical", too. His late renditions are very different, moody and sentimental. That's what I love at his style, not the early period.

Rico, I don't know about his Schuberts, but I can live with the idea that no-one is good at everything. ;)

What's the relation between Schubert and jazz, tho? :P
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:48pm

^ You must have heard his very early recordings, fast, furious and maybe even "robotical", too. His late renditions are very different, moody and sentimental. That's what I love at his style, not the early period.

I must admit his later recording of Goldberg Variations I enjoyed (although I think he butchered them in his first). Maybe I'll have to check him out, I heard he did mature as a musician later on in his life.

Speaking of which have you ever heard Jarrett play Bach?

They are both awesome?
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 4:02pm

Rico, I don't know about his Schuberts, but I can live with the idea that no-one is good at everything. ;)

My point was that he mastered little in style beyond Bach's timeline, in order to discuss him all the way to jazz music.

(But I exaggerate, for he looked into Schonberg rather extensively and notably.)

Edited by Ricochet - 20 Jun 2011 at 4:04pm

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 4:07pm

I have not listened to his Goldberg Variations. He does offer enough counterpoint fantasy in his own works, though.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:03pm

I have not listened to his Goldberg Variations. He does offer enough counterpoint fantasy in his own works, though.

I can say with confidence that he is the only player I can think of that plays classical just as well as jazz.

And yeah, there is plenty of counterpoint in his own works! His clavichord stuff is also very interesting.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:27pm
A tough call, mostly because I don't know enough of most of these guys. I'll vote for Brubeck in this poll, but overall my favorite is probably Sun Ra.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

A tough call, mostly because I don't know enough of most of these guys. I'll vote for Brubeck in this poll, but overall my favorite is probably Sun Ra.

Consider this a source of research if you're into your jazz piano!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 8:08pm
Absolutely. Definitely been meaning to check out some of the bigger names on this list (Monk, Tyner, Jarret, etc). My jazz collection is still quite poor, especially when it comes to "straight" or "normal" jazz.  But I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for the names that I don't recognize as well.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 8:14pm
And, please make the goodness of jazz and JMA known to surroundings further. Wink
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He was my #2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

And, please make the goodness of jazz and JMA known to surroundings further. Wink

Haha, I try but I am only one man. Tongue
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 12:21am
As for me, this forum really thought the role like the textbook to be desirous for the beginner of jazz. Even if I choose "Toshiko Akiyoshi" from the list of this vote and it explains her goodness, the beginner might not understand so much. LOLHowever, I feel the mission that does it.LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:58am
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He was my #2

He wouldn't have been in my top 5!!!Embarrassed (I gave mine in my first post on the thread)

but he's generally universally recognized as a genius (although more so in the songwriting dept proper, rather than piano proficiency or virtuosity itself), which is why I'm a little amazed at no-one voting for him...

But at Thelo's defence, the competition he's facing is rather tough.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:59am

I can say with confidence that he is the only player I can think of that plays classical just as well as jazz.

And yeah, there is plenty of counterpoint in his own works! His clavichord stuff is also very interesting.

With classical studies, no doubt. I read (though it may be wikipedia junk trivia) that he even rejected the idea of studying under Nadia Boulanger. Already an ego at an early age. Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:32am

With classical studies, no doubt. I read (though it may be wikipedia junk trivia) that he even rejected the idea of studying under Nadia Boulanger. Already an ego at an early age. Tongue

Not only classical studies, but classical studies that he valued as much as jazz studies

OIh boy... I heard he often stops in the middle of the song and tells audience members off for coughing? Ego indeed
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 1:19pm
Yes, as much as I'd love to catch him in concert, there are five significant factors to it these days:

1. Him playing agitated serial music (I can actually live with that, but it's a bizarre new phase nonetheless)
2. Him playing in Japan
3. Him playing in one of the five most prestigious concert halls of the world (in case it's not in Japan)
4. His concert costing me at least 125 euros
5. Him likely to be annoyed by people in the audience breathing and therefore stop playing at all

Edited by Ricochet - 21 Jun 2011 at 1:20pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic