JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

E.S.T. (Esbjorn Svensson trio)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E.S.T. (Esbjorn Svensson trio)
    Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
I think that I should have done it before as a big E.S.T. fan. So, I wait for your opinions.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 5:00am
Probably best known european trio, inspiration source for many contemporary jazz artists  and among my favourite jazz artists
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 11:20am
Tuesday Wonderland is a great album
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 11:40am
The title composition is fantastic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 1:59pm
I remember playing it actually, great fun to improvise over. Also ES wasn't too bad of a player either, very simple stuff but it's almost lyrical, kind of reminds me of a modern Bill Evans in a way.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 2:39pm
Generally the lyrical music appeals me. Maybe that's why I like E.S.T. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 2:52pm
You'd probably love Bill Evans, although I don't want to detract from the thread What are your opinions on Seven Days of Falling?
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:17pm
Candidate for biggest fan.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:39pm
Yes. I like Bill Evans. Seven days of falling was the first album I bought by them. The title track is (maybe) my favorite E.S.T. composition. This year I bought Viaticum. I want to buy all of their albums. The bad thing is that ACT label has expensive releases. The albums of E.S.T. cost 17,50 euros. But yesterday I saw that two albums of Panzerballett cost 10 euros. That's good.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Yes. I like Bill Evans. Seven days of falling was the first album I bought by them. The title track is (maybe) my favorite E.S.T. composition. This year I bought Viaticum. I want to buy all of their albums. The bad thing is that ACT label has expensive releases. The albums of E.S.T. cost 17,50 euros. But yesterday I saw that two albums of Panzerballett cost 10 euros. That's good.  

Yeah he's one of the most revolutionary jazz musicians of all time, to put my opinions bluntly

Back to EST though, I love In My Garage off Seven Days... the modal harmony is gorgeous. Then again, that could be said for all of their stuff, although I also love the rhythmic drive in this one too. The solo is pretty hot too.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 5:03pm
You must listen to the tribute to E.S.T. that Alyn Shipton of Jazz library did on BBC radio 3. I liked it.
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 8:34pm
Live in Hamburg = AMAZING
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:23am
I must thank Mezzo TV for playing EST pieces in their programs, that's how I discovered them at a time when Mezzo TV  were my main source for new artists discoveries in jazz
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:52am
I saw them playing live some years ago in small Balkan town - I didn't know them till that moment. Absolutely trippy concert - if someone knows those small Balkan towns with lot of homeless dogs walking around main street, Gypsies walking around with bicycles and bringing all metal scrap somewhere, relaxed people drinking coffee hour after hour (it looks no-one works there,what is not far from truth) in street cafes....  There was a town's theater and some local enthusiasts organised kind of "jazz fest" with help of some Western cultural organizations. 

Late evening local respectable citizens went to see the show - they expected to see lot of brass on a manner of local Gypsy bands or some "turbo-folk" (mix of Balkan and Turkish tunes and danceable drum machine's rhythm), but they were ... not disappointed, but kind of shocked. They never imagine "jazz" could sound like that (some of them left the hall soon, but many just stayed because it was one of a few concerts in their town that year).
At that time I lived just 100 km from that town so crossed the border and visited the show - and I was really impressed (possibly because that music sounded as aliens sounds in that place) LOL

Edited by snobb - 01 Jul 2011 at 8:25am
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:43am
Great description Slava. What town was that?
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:56am
They played in my hometown and it was barely six months after I discovered them. Then again, I discovered them because I heard they'll be the superstarring in my hometown's jazz festival - 1st edition (December 2006), and thinking back it went very well, with local bands making a stance, big Romanian names like Liviu Butoi & Mircea Tiberian putting on a rough avant-garde endless improv, finally Tord Gustavsson & Eberhard Weber blowing the place up: the 2nd edition was fine too, but since the festival got cancelled for lack of funds, twice already.

So I think a lot of my newborn passion for E.S.T. centered around that concert. The concert.

Being novelty, I was in my usual skeptical-dickhead-"they-can't-be-something-special-I've-already-heard-everything-that's-great-in-music" mood upon hearing they'll be playing, but by the time the big day arrived I was already a Viaticum diehard, wishing they will play all my favourites off that album (The Unstable Table..., The Well-Wisher). And they did! The focus was also around Tuesday Wonderland, their most recent work that time around - so they basically combined their last two albums, with the traditional encore, Dodge the Dodo.

The spectacular Live in Hamburg was actually recorded in the fall of 2006, so you can imagine yourselves how incendiary it was, full of energy, lenghtened hits (with chunks of electro-static transitions). The Opera concert hall was packed and it didn't take long for everyone to roar between pieces. Standing with my dad in the highest lodge was also nice memory, he was very impressed, saying "this is how it's done" compared to the rest of the program. I was desperate to make a lot of pictures, so after 15 minutes he stopped me and said 'calm down, dammit, and enjoy it".

Still one of my favourite concerts ever.

Edited by Ricochet - 01 Jul 2011 at 8:00am

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Great description Slava. What town was that?

LOL

Šabac in Western Serbia, on Bosnian border
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:57am
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I lost the chance to see them for just one time. 
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:04am
I have to thank Rico for introducing me to E.S.T. 

Edited by A Person - 04 Jul 2011 at 11:04am
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:10am
Was me?
Good anyways. Big smile

Edited by Ricochet - 04 Jul 2011 at 11:10am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic