JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topaz - acid jazz?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topaz - acid jazz?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
I'm a bit of a fan of the jazz band Topaz for awhile now. They're a very obscure band that not many people have heard of, so  I scoured the internet looking for info on them. Every site or information outlet I've come across lists them as being 'acid jazz', which if I'm familiar is a descriptor for jazz that mixes itself with club music, turntabalism, and other DJ-isms of electronic music. I've collected two of Topaz' most "popular" albums and listen to them both in full several times (Listen! (2000) and The Zone (2002)) and neither of them contain such a sound. Instead, to me, it's much more jazz-funk oriented, something you'd see from 1970's Donald Byrd or Herbie Hancock. I am aware that the band got more into the afro-dub scene the longer their career went on, but regardless I don't believe these two albums fit in the acid jazz category.

What do you guys think? I just see very little discussion on this and I need my mind either made up or changed some way. LOL
Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

More music stuff from me: http://fryingpanmedia.blogspot.com/
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 10:18am
I always listen to albums before we add them to make sure they have right tag, and I rarely trust other sources other than my own ears and my several decades of performing music like this. I will give these guys another listen to make sure they have the right tag and get back to you about this, just give me a little time to check this out. Keep in mind, the line between acid jazz and funk jazz is very thin sometimes, and quite often either tag could fit. The Brand New Heavies debut comes to mind as an album that could wear either tag.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:42pm
Okay, I just listened to the live album and Acid jazz is the wrong tag for that album. The album starts off as a funk jazz album, but then they veer off into psychedelic fusion for the rest of the album. As far as this site goes, this album would best be tagged Classic Fusion. Our definition of Funk Jazz revolves around bands like The Meters, The JBs, Herbie's "Hang Up Your Hangups" etc, the pure stuff. The Topaz live album is more diverse than that. I changed the tag. I'll check out the other albums over the next few days and get back to you.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 9:24pm
Alright, cool. I also personally think of them in my head as being a jazz fusion (especially with Listen) band but I thought that was a bit too bold of a descriptor to through out there. Good thing you guys are so open minded!

Small trifle I know, but the cover for Listen doesn't seem to be the same size as the other covers. Here's a better sized image if you feel it necessary.
Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

More music stuff from me: http://fryingpanmedia.blogspot.com/
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:22pm
  ^ cover changed
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 2:45am
Listening to "The Zone", this album is mostly acid jazz, with some cuts that lean in a fusion direction. Granted this album is more substantial than most acid jazz albums, but acid jazz still seems to be the best tag for this album.

Edited by js - 28 Oct 2017 at 2:45am
jazzlover98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzlover98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 9:17pm
Acid Jazz sounds like something that I should look into because I tend to like the elevator/club subtype of electronic music and I am obviously a jazz fan.. A fusion of the two? Count me in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic