JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pat Metheny Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pat Metheny Group
    Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:06am
i see Metheny solo is on the site, but no Pat Metheny Group.

I dont know where they would fit. World Fusion? Post-70s Eclectic Fusion?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:16am
I also wait for the judgment and the answer by Admin Group. It is necessary to think about PMG besides solo. Smile
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 1:09am
Do you think PMG and Pat Metheny solo should be separated? 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 1:15am
i think so. I dont like the way it is on PA, it makes makes the discography look overwhelming and all over the place. PMG is a different type of thing compared to Metheny's solo stuff. Plus i think it's silly to have *album title* *(Pat Metheny Group)*

i know a lot of artists have had their own name bands (band/quintet/quartet/etc...) but PMG is a true band in itself, whereas Pat Metheny's solo albums go in their own directions.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 1:37am

If my memory is certain, I think that the function and the possibility as the band were the purposes of PMG.

I think that I can certainly have a special page by PMG. And, the subgenre is not understood.

In addition, I think that trio and quartet all go to the page of Pat Metheny.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

If my memory is certain, I think that the function and the possibility as the band were the purposes of PMG.

I think that I can certainly have a special page by PMG. And, the subgenre is not understood. 

the 2 i mentioned before would probably be the best. It's tough because the band also has post-bop moments, and clear classic fusion moments too.

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

In addition, I think that trio and quartet all go to the page of Pat Metheny.

agreed

Edited by darkshade - 10 Mar 2011 at 1:55am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:47am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Do you think PMG and Pat Metheny solo should be separated? 

Generally the way have been doing things here with other artists is grouping everything together. I think it makes things easier to find.
What do you think Slava in regards to other artists we have already made decisions about.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:56am
As much as I know Metheny's music, I would think all his albums could be in one place (under his name). There is not a big difference between genres in different releases, and some releases from another hand are not pure solo or group,or something in between.

The other risk is if we will have them separated, we will have repeated additions of solo/group albums to opposite discogs by new members all the time.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:26am
Yes, the repeating entry problem is the number one reason to have an artists discog in one place.

Edited by js - 10 Mar 2011 at 7:27am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:33am
It consented. This matter might look like the recognition of Chick Corea/Circle that I submitted recently. If the rule and the index were united by me, I also thought that I was able to work lubrication.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 9:29pm
well whatever happens, keep us updated. I'll hold off adding albums until it's confirmed everything will be on one page or not.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 9:43pm
We're going to keep it on one page for now.
There's two things to consider here:
1) lots of times when artists have two pages, albums end up on both, its very difficult to fix that.
2) in jazz, artists tend have a different group every year or so. Look at all the quartets, quintets and nonets that Miles had over the years. many of those groups had a distinct style and sound, but they all go under Miles.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 9:58pm
The index was completed. Thumbs Up
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:03pm
so can we start adding PMG albums? also how would the classifications go? some of the albums are World Fusion, Post 70s Eclectic Fusion, or a mix of both. Confused
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:19pm
Go ahead and add them, make your own calls on which genre they go in.
I wouldn't think that any would go in Post 70s Eclectic Fusion though. Check the definition on that one, its for the post 70s NYC crowd (Blood Ulmer, Zorn etc) and their generation.
Methany is definitely from the 70s, but he would probably fit any other genre you want.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:22pm
I think we have had Methany as either World fusion or Classic Fusion so far. Maybe there is something I'm missing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:47pm
based on what i read about the genres, Classic Fusion is 70s fusion more or less, and anything those guys did after.

I didnt realize post 70s Eclectic Fusion was mostly NY based musicians (i guess i was lucky with Steve Jenkins)

back to PMG, i guess World Fusion, but there are a couple of their albums i wouldnt necessarily classify as such. Either way im not doing it tonight (too tired) but by the end of the weekend im sure
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:51pm
Yeah, the Classic Fusion and Post 70s Eclectic Fusion is almost more about generation than music, but they also happen to be usually distinctly different styles.
That NYC style has taken on in Japan and Europe, but not so much in the states.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic